DISH - I worked at DISH almost a year, and at this point, I don’t ever want to even be a customer. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"I worked at DISH almost a year, and at this point, I don’t ever want to even be a customer."

Former Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
Former Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• The atrium was really beautiful inside the building.
• There were a lot of really nice people who worked there.
• The Halloween party was pretty cool.

Cons

• The environment is toxic - The culture is just so competitive, that it’s hard to get anything done without having to fight a battle over territory. Even the parking lot and cafeteria are competitions, and the company has no trust for its employees, which is evidenced with the badge report.
• Believe the reviews – There is a reason that DISH has won “Worst Place to Work in America” for two years in a row.
• The values are Pride, Adventure, Winning – This speaks to the complete absence of team work and collaboration within the company.
• Any kind of work requires no less than 4 VP approvals, so the work can become tedious and boring while waiting for things to happen. It’s just so territorial, that each VP wants to have a say in everything, which slows the process to a crawl. It’s amazing that ANYTHING gets done.
• Your time in the building matters. It doesn’t matter if you are productive while you’re there, but you must serve your time in the building. It’s unbelievable, but DISH has found a way to incentivize exempt employees to work “overtime.”
• The rumor of “talent upgrades” is true. They routinely fire the bottom 20%, which is really just their way of cleaning house and getting rid of the people they don’t like. I have never seen turnover at ANY company, as rampant as it was there. No sense in getting to know anyone, they’ll be gone soon anyway (or you yourself will decide to run).
• My direct supervisor was the one that advised me that the quality or quantity of my work didn’t matter – the future of my career there hinged solely on my “perception.” This is alarming, since promotions really are a popularity contest.
• Pay and benefits suck, but you would expect no less from a company that really has no concern or appreciation for its employees.

I think the current CEO tried to change some of this culture, but was largely unsuccessful.

The best advice I can give anyone is to not work here, don’t even apply. It’s not worth it. You are better than subjecting yourself to this environment and you will be appreciated more in ANY other company.

This company is just terrible, and the owner and upper management should be embarrassed.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving the culture - relax on the badge report, consider providing more than just one ice machine, etc. Employees actually work harder in environments that cultivate trust, team work, and positivity.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"The New Positive Culture at Dish"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have my job
    Good incentives
    Schedules rarely change for the worse
    My supervisor cares

Cons

Upper Management really does not care about doing what's right.
    They just fired one of the best Supervisors and everybody knows it's because they were overstaffed and from what I hear they came up with all these reasons that were not true as of why to fire him. One of the team members said he wasn't there for his team when I know he was there more then other coaches; and he had that team like a week. The person that said he wasn't there for them had missed like 2 to 3 days.
    The Supervisor they fired was the only black supervisor. They don't look to promote people of color especially African Americans. They don't know how to deal with people that are ambitious and want for more. I'm sure that it is not like this in other call centers we just live in a predominantly white area where racism is still there just covered up better.
    The Supervisor they fired had all the faith in management and his manager; which he obviously should not have had. He believed in a new positive culture where they work with you and actually care about you and they let him, the most motivational person go.

Advice to Management

When you let him go, you let go of some of what he stood for as well... a better Dish built off of respect not fear. Admit you made a mistake and bring him back.
    Don't just smile at your people and think that, that does it; take the time to connect with them.
    Never fire anyone for something you do, or don't do yourself
    Find a way to decrease that fear and build back the respect. That's what will help to not make Dish the worst place to work at again.
    People are still scared to take internal "anonymous" feedback surveys in fear that it's not truly anonymous so roam the internet for true uncut feedback like this if you truly care about making Dish at least in our area a better place to work at.
    You can make all the grand speeches and make all the policy changes and make all the surveys you want but if you don't change; You; all the data collecting may make a difference but not The positive difference at Dish that I hope someone truly cares about.

"I worked at dish newtowrk, flushing ny for about a month."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to interact with people from different background and different culture.
    The opportunity to built a customer service approach by learning daily customer needs and interests.

Cons

1. Lack of good training in order to be ready for daily work in a stressful work place like dish. Being able to handle 100+ calls a day requires good training rather than talking. I was on training for almost 3 weeks, but all i had was talk and discussion with almost half hour of actual phone call training a day. The other thing related to training is that actual training was done by crew employees and new hired ones where all they do is pointing out what to do on the screen without giving any kind of criteria of how to handle a call.
    2. Lack of cohesiveness. There no shared goals among employees. All care of their personal goals "to work 8 hours and earn money." Management not being able to take care of their employee need leads to this type of problem.
    3 Lack of honesty, tolerance, and respect for hardworking employees in general and for the one who belong to minorities. I remember seeing a hard working lady crying because one day she was sick and wasn’t allowed to go to doctor, and she end up dealing with an angry customer cursing her. However, i was fired 15 minutes after i reported to HR a discrimination incident against mean when i asked why, i was told that i didn’t say thank you to my trainer when she helped me. She felt bad.

Advice to Management

To aknowlege the postion that you hold. The postion you hold requires hard and stressful care of both custemers and employees. Faliure to meet either of those might end up wit susequences on the hall company.