KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place If You Are Yes Man

Jun 28, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

People in my immediate team were fun and great to work with.

Cons

They do not care about employees at all. The CEO once said in a meeting that people who are concerned about their benefits being reduced were just lazy employees. He didn't want those kind of people working at his company. He worked holidays and overtime to build his company so he expects his employees to do the same. As the owner of the company you made billions of dollars with all your extra work. As an employee you got nothing for working extra. They did do employee satisfaction surveys that they did not listen too. When the engineering department got the lowest satisfaction scores, they held a meeting. It wasn't to address our concerns, it was to tell us how to fill out the surveys correctly to get better scores. Talks about having the best employees but has some of the lowest pay and benefits in the industry. I participated in making hiring decisions, and every time we found someone amazing, I 100% knew they were not going to take a job from us. They were going to get better offers somewhere else. They have a forced company culture that is part of your yearly review. You have to write essays on how you meet their company culture. Does it matter that you got the job done and did an amazing job. Somewhat, but if you don't tow the line with the "Dish Way" and "CPAW" they don't want you. The "CPAW" - Curiosity, Pride, Adventure, Winning. By itself this looks good, and seems great, but not how dish interpreted it. Winning meant doing anything to get the job done on time even if every engineer said the deadline was ridiculous. This meant being pushed to work weekends and longer days. I agree with taking pride in your work, but the company never took pride in its employees. They tried too hire by paying rock bottom prices. I was always given exceptional reviews, but my pay was about $20000 less than industry average. Curiosity and adventure sound great but it never happened. Anyone who was creative was not allowed to be. Typically you heard, this is the way we did it in the past, so we will continue to do it this way. I saw some great innovative designs being shot down either because we always had ridiculous deadlines or it was just different and we always did things the same way. I knew people who quit because they were not allowed to use new technologies. Its funny that upper management talks about being the most innovative company, but when engineers actually tried something unique it was not allowed. There is so much more I could go on about, but just know in Denver it was known as the worst employer to work for. Don't believe me. Just google "Worst CEO to Work For". The owner was once put in a magazine article for being "Worst CEO to Work For".

Continue reading
    10 people found this review helpful
  1. DISH - Sales | Division of DISH
    5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Invest in Employees

Apr 2, 2022 - Team Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

401K, HSA, training, opportunity, CPAW cultural values, networking, work at home positions, company shares, recognition

Cons

I cannot think of any. The opportunity and support is there. It is up to the employee to take advantage of that.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. DISH - Corporate | Division of DISH
    4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Want to learn more in 2 years than you would from any educational program? DISH is for you.

May 16, 2022 - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of opportunity and support to pursue your own growth interests and own your career path. Trust levels are high from leadership, and you largely get to control your desk. If you want a rapid pace with tons of exposure to a wide breadth of HR work in a very short period, HR at DISH is the place for you.

Cons

Culturally, we have a few policies that are on the lagging edge of the market. Remote flexibility and career architecture modeling is an on-going discussion that can be frustrating for some at the pace in which they change. Given the size of the company, I wouldn't say this is atypical from industry standard though.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about DISH.

DISH Photos

+ Add Photo
DISH photo of: A quick snapshot from our career informational fair
DISH photo of: Wireless team members collaborating
DISH photo of: Our atrium at Riverfront location
DISH photo of: Team members working
DISH photo of: Boost intern
DISH photo of: Sling TV team from our career informational fair
DISH photo of: That time DISH Media won an EMMY