DSW - I love DSW | Glassdoor

"I love DSW"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are wonderful people that work at my location. Also the discount of 30% is pretty great. We even get that on top of the clearance price as well.

Cons

Can be slow at times. With no real tasks to do, the day can seem long. Not enough hours are given in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep the initiatives, they are truly motivating!

Other Employee Reviews for DSW

"Invest your life's work elsewhere."

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, let's see. There's a 30% discount and the dress code is lenient.

Cons

Think about it. I mean really think. If you get hired in as a manager or a full-time associate, is this the company in which you want to invest your skills? Your talents? Your time? Is this the place you want to spend a majority of your waking hours, slowly pacing the same isles, moving boxes of shoes from one spot to another, wearing a lanyard name tag and being forced to call everyone you come into contact with a "shoe-lover"?

Do you want to be encouraged to micro-manage your employees, or be more concerned with "walkie communication" than building actual relationships with your customers? Do you want to even wear a walkie-talkie all day?

Of course you don't.

I could tell you about my personal experience during my tenure at dsw. I could talk about being repeatedly let down and lied to by upper management, or I could talk about a concerning lack of autonomy, or managers who delight in finger pointing and throwing associates under the bus. But that might not be your experience.

I will, however, tell you this. DSW is, when all is said and done, still just a shoe store. As much as the company tries to be "America's Favorite Place to Work", it's a losing battle. At the end of the day, it's just a regular, tedious, soul-crushingly boring shoe store. Nothing more.

Do you have a long-held aspiration to try something new or be something great, but it seems too risky? Do that. Don't settle for this. We're better than this.

"over worked, little benefits"

Current Employee - Freight and Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Freight and Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a relaxed atmosphere, depending on management. They have a pretty good discount for employees.

Cons

Management promoted based on favoritism. If you didn't do exactly as they said you hurt your opportunity for promotion. They would cut your shift after you worked for an hour when it was slow. Pressure to sign customers up with reward program.

Advice to Management

Use talent that is available to them, promote based on accomplishments and skills