DSW - Good part time job. | Glassdoor

"Good part time job."

Pros

Easy to switch shifts and not a hard job in generally

Cons

Retail woes, lots of tourists, it can get pretty messy

Other Employee Reviews for DSW

"Invest your life's work elsewhere."

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, let's see. There's a 30% discount and the dress code is lenient.

Cons

Think about it. I mean really think. If you get hired in as a manager or a full-time associate, is this the company in which you want to invest your skills? Your talents? Your time? Is this the place you want to spend a majority of your waking hours, slowly pacing the same isles, moving boxes of shoes from one spot to another, wearing a lanyard name tag and being forced to call everyone you come into contact with a "shoe-lover"?

Do you want to be encouraged to micro-manage your employees, or be more concerned with "walkie communication" than building actual relationships with your customers? Do you want to even wear a walkie-talkie all day?

Of course you don't.

I could tell you about my personal experience during my tenure at dsw. I could talk about being repeatedly let down and lied to by upper management, or I could talk about a concerning lack of autonomy, or managers who delight in finger pointing and throwing associates under the bus. But that might not be your experience.

I will, however, tell you this. DSW is, when all is said and done, still just a shoe store. As much as the company tries to be "America's Favorite Place to Work", it's a losing battle. At the end of the day, it's just a regular, tedious, soul-crushingly boring shoe store. Nothing more.

Do you have a long-held aspiration to try something new or be something great, but it seems too risky? Do that. Don't settle for this. We're better than this.

2. "Best job to work at"

Pros

Some people are nice i like that they give you feed back on what you need to work on to better your self

Cons

Supervisors showing favoritisim to some of the employees and its not right

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing you guys rock