DSW - Easy, fulfilling part-time job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DSW

"Easy, fulfilling part-time job."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Through DSW, you have the opportunity to work with a great group of people for a growing company. The company focuses on promoting from within so if you see yourself growing with the company, starting as a sales associate is the way to go.

Cons

The company pushes you to get people to sign up for the rewards program. If you aren't prepared to sell a program like that to customers, you will find working here difficult.

Other Employee Reviews for DSW

"Good place to work in the retail industry"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at DSW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and employee discounts. Store Managers and Assistant Store Managers receive bonuses every month based upon meeting sales plan goals.

Cons

Promotions in our district were based on politics as opposed to qualifications and work ethic. The District Manager at that time was not always professional and she drove several Store Managers and Assistant Store Managers to either transfer out of her district or seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Regional Managers and up should solicit constructive feedback from the Store Managers and Assistant Store Managers on a regular basis and truly exercise the open door policy.

"Blah."

Former Employee - Team Member in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in Bronx, NY

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work to life balance, 30% off employee discount on EVERYTHING, no uniform (though you must dress business casual), potlucks, and if you catch an employee stealing and it leads to an arrest, you get $1,000 (they are serious about internal theft).

Cons

The pay is biweekly, you are doing much more work than what you are being paid for, management/company is pushy about you signing up people for DSW rewards, closing out the store is a nightmare (imagine closing at 9:30 p.m but staying until 11 and sometimes midnight just so everything is back in order), there is a lateness/absence point system (get 6 points and you're fired), if you are out of dress code the management will not let you work (and that counts as a point for "absence"), and management is sometimes very rude and demanding to the employees. Just yesterday my coworker who had been extended to work for seven hours was finally going to leave after her long shift, but management made her stay extra (even though she was extended. meaning she was supposed to leave three hours ago).

Advice to Management

Either pay more or start hiring more employees to even out the work load. Expecting one employee to close out an entire floor PROPERLY is impossible. Meaning following the POS system where you check if the display shoe is the smallest size, is the right foot, that the shoe is at the right angle, the boxes are in box size order, and the correct style is under the shoe. Then if the display shoe or the display's shoe pair is missing we have to search the entire store to find it, and if the style is incorrect we had to find where the box goes. And don't act like we are supposed to be able to do this in under two hours when all you (the management) does is make sure the boxes are in size order and claim we are supposed to be able to close the entire floor in 20 minutes. Also stop being so rude because all that results in is intense employee hatred of the management. I already know that by the end of this year you will have completely different employees because all every single one of my coworkers talk about is getting a new job.