DSW - Your a long ways away from becoming Americas Favorite Place to Work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DSW

"Your a long ways away from becoming Americas Favorite Place to Work"

Pros

- Great product at great value
- Competitive pay
- Company Growth

Cons

- contridictory procedures
- a thank you goes a long way
- upper management very disrespectful ( regional upwards)
- growth not based on metrics/performance but based on the likability factor

Advice to Management

The field is confused and working under fear set procedures in place and dont come back in a month and say the discount code is too high, your pulling managers in thousand directions. Regionals stop flying off the handle and let managers run the stores, step in where needed. You say you want feedback but your not listening. Stop with the flavor of the month scenario it should not matter if the senior leadership team will like someone personally based off of looks or dress, are they getting job done. DSW is such a stressful place to work, its like your on stage acting out a role daily....we sell shoes.....allow us to.

Other Employee Reviews for DSW

"Ehh"

Current Employee - Hourly Associate
    Current Employee - Hourly Associate

Pros

I like how my salary is above min. wage and the employee discount is good. I also like how people are zoned in a consistant spot (I'm always a clearance person). Another pro is the diverse team at my location. Also, when you do a good job, they let you know. I am still in high school and this is my first job. I think this is an ideal first job. It is not too stressful and I can personally express myself most of the time.

Cons

As petty as this is, the store needs better lighting and surveillance (especially in clearance). We might make our financial goals if customers could see and if we could see customers, and the management team might stop yelling at us for "not doing our job." I find that the management team favors certain employees over others, and their hours reflect it. Also, my store's management team uneffectively spreads news. Honestly, news travels through the grapevine; not in any formal literature or notice. As an associate, I feel very much out of the loop. Another con is manager orders. They blab way too long over the headsets (making it hard to concentrate on the tasks they are ironically screaming at us to do, like customer service). Their orders are hot and cold at the same time! They want us to offer fantastic customer service to everyone in the store, but don't want us to give too much. They cry and scream for more rewards, but yell at associates when customers complain about the pressure of signing up. (Since I work back in clearance, most customers have gone through the obstacle of reward-hungry associates; so by the time customers come to clearance, they snap at me for being asked three to five times.) They want us to recover, but yell at us for focusing on cleaning/straightening up. They yell at associates for casually talking (but still working), but they huddle in a circle in the middle of the store gossiping. They want us to be happy and promote a positive work environment, but give nasty looks to associates saying friendly 'hellos'. GAHH

Advice to Management

I wish the managers had training as DSW associates working on the floor in addition to their managerial training. I don't know if they really understand how some of their barks are really irrationable and polar-opposite. If the managers knew what it was like to constantly keep the store clean, keep up constant customer service, and sign up members without driving customers away with constant fake perkiness, I think they'd atleast understand some of the insanity that hourly associates go through. I think a way to cut back on this kind of customer dissatisfaction would be to create a system of approach. Maybe (per day) certain people are only allowed to approach customers for reward sign-ups. That way people aren't annoyed with the same question four times. Or maybe, don't put so much emphasis on the rewards program. (I understand greeting customers and offering help, obviously). One last thing, I think that corporate DSW and the store managers have different ideas, or the store managers are just extremely afraid of corporate. I think that this is probably where a lot of the hot and cold orders start.

"The senior management makes DSW is a very frustrating place to work."

Pros

DSW offers lots of benefits from other retailers. There are no clothes to fold or credit cards to sell. Most customers want to shop on their own. The customer service model is simple to execute. Most associates seem to like working there.

Cons

DSW is experiencing growing pains. It is very frustrating that they can not give us set policies to follow. They are so worried about upsetting customers that they send mixed messages to associates. GET REWARDS, but don't pressure the customer. YOUR DAMAGES ARE TOO HIGH, but why didn't you take that customer's worm shoes back. GET YOUR FREIGHT OUT THE SAME DAY, but don't use any extra payroll.

Advice to Management

You hire managers to run multi-million dollar stores, let them manage them. If they can't do that, then maybe you have the wrong people. And give us a structured return policy to follow. It is very frustrating to have a moving target.