Daily Journal (California) - I did not enjoy working here. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Daily Journal (California)

"I did not enjoy working here."

Pros

Good work/life balance. Great coworkers.

Cons

Terrible pay and unpleasant management

Other Employee Reviews for Daily Journal (California)

"Don't plan on staying here for long."

Pros

It's a job in journalism in a major U.S. city. You'll get a steady paycheck because this newspaper is financially solvent. You'll also cover major figures in California's legal community.

Cons

Low pay and lousy benefits. The bosses excessively micromanage their employees and exhibit an attitude towards them that is disdainful at best and abusive at worst. Screaming and threats are not unheard of there. There's a high turnover rate there for good reason. The paper's pay wall is so high that few stories make it into the general news circulation.

Advice to Management

Stop screaming at your employees. Stop treating your workers like infants. Start promoting your reporters' work. Start learning that micromanagement demoralizes your workforce.

"So glad I left this place behind."

Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Daily Journal (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good resume builder for an inexperienced person just starting out.

No late nights or weekends.

Cons

I agree with the other reviews posted here, which together paint a fairly accurate picture. Generally, the peer environment here is good, but the mood is often dominated by fear of the top editor's wrath, and people will sometimes step on one another to avoid it, mid-level editors included. Turnover is high here for one reason: him.

He's so bad he's almost a cartoon villain, with the temerity of Elmer Fudd, the temperament of Yosemite Sam, and the tongue of Sylvester the Cat.

Don't expect to be mentored, guided, or even supported here. There's not enough time, staff, or inclination. The Daily Journal is a sink or swim situation, and any learning that takes place happens through yelling after the fact rather than guidance before.

If the top editor calls you into his office, other staffers look at you with wide-eyed pity, because it's automatically presumed to be a bad thing. He's infamous for a near-total lack of ability to say anything positive. In positive situations, he merely remains silent or walks away.

The company I've moved on to treats me with decency and respect, which was a shock to my system after my time at the Daily Journal.

Advice to Management

Why write anything in this space? Management must be aware by now that the high turnover here is all because of the top editor, and they persist in doing nothing.