Darden - Decent Company...Terrible Experience | Glassdoor

"Decent Company...Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Mentor, OH
Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Mentor, OH

I worked at Darden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Great company. Wonderful training. Core values are very important to Darden.

Cons

95 employees quit in 8 months...that should say something. 5 managers out in 4 years. They do not follow through on agreements made in the beginning. They push work/life balance but do the opposite. Told will be working around 50 hours per week...more like 65. Managers really have no say so and the team members know it. The great people are not told positive things. Illegal mexicans in the kitchen. Guests are always right...even if you watch them put a hair in their plate!!! General Manager does NOTHING! Just a true mess. In my experience, the vice president met with me and agreed that I was done unfairly and offered me a position in a different restaurant. Only thing was, it's an hour away!

Advice to Management

Work just as hard as you expect everyone else to. Quit leaving early every day. Acknowledge your hard working people. Don't pass the blame to your District Manager. Accept responsibility. If a GM isn't handling the business correctly, do something about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Darden

1. "Decent company."

Current Employee - Host in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Host in Boston, MA

I have been working at Darden part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part it runs smooth. Good management

Cons

Scheduling is extremely inconsistent. Underpaying employees. No re-evaluation.

2. "Great place to start out"

Current Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Darden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Easy money
    Good Pay
    Team work

Been working here over 2 years. Very flexible with your schedule, was able to go to school and work another job while here, though, I'm not sure they'll be that flexible with everybody. Only downfall was the management didn't give you breaks, you'd be working anywhere from 6-12 hours, and more then half a time without a given break to sit down or eat unless you begged. But, toughen up ,that's most restaurants.

Cons

Long hours
    No breaks
    Management is very busy, and something not understanding.
    Need management or upper to fix every small thing on a check.
    Soup and Salad, running back and forth with large trays, very busy.