Darden - ok place to work | Glassdoor

"ok place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Darden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits with limited advancement

Cons

not always the best work life balance

Advice to Management

people make your organization work

Other Employee Reviews for Darden

1. "OG is a company of Darden"

Former Employee - Server & Culinary in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Server & Culinary in Gainesville, GA

I worked at Darden part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were great (at first). It was a new store so it was busy ans it was summer time.
    Discount: 50% when working & 25% when dining in.
    Discount works at all Darden restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Longhorn Steakhouse, Seasons 52, Bahama Breeze, The Capital Grille, Yard House & Eddie V's Prime Seafood.

Cons

No discount when ordering to-go.
    Made to work 8+ with no breaks. I sometimes got in trouble for going to the restroom.

Advice to Management

Everyone needs a break. Especially when working more than 4/5 hours.

2. "Great management but clueless corporate. Longhorn Steakhouse."

Former Employee - Server in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Darden (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Longhorn Steakhouse for 3 years as a host and a server. The management at my location was (for the most part) good. They promote teamwork between employees and it started with the management. Even when the district manager was there, they would roll up their sleeves and help out.

You are eligible for benefits the first day you start, which was great. I don't know if it will stay that way though.

For the number of hours you work as a server, it can be very good money, but only if everyone in the restaurant does their jobs. Too many times I lost money on tips do to other people's mistakes.

Cons

Management REFUSED to fire ANYONE, no matter how bad they were. Hosts in the restaurant had all the control and management was clueless to this fact even though everyone pointed it out to them. The hosts would pick their favorite servers and seat them and no one else. I repeated found my section closed by the hosts at 6pm on a Friday night and management still refused any discipline.

The corporate office is completely out of touch with what goes on in their restaurants. One evening, two people from corporate came in to interview customers about the new menu design and proceeded to get COMPLETELY wasted to the point that they could barely speak by the time they left. And they left a 5% tip for their server.

You can advance, but only if you are the favorite. If you are too good at what you do, they will do everything they can to keep you where you are.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You are ruining your restaurant brands. The focus on turnover is bad. I saw to many horrible employees that management refused to fire for no other reason than that they were worried about turnover. So they held onto the bad employees who drove away many of the good ones (including this reviewer).