Darden - Maybe an overall good company to work for, just not my restaurant. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Darden

"Maybe an overall good company to work for, just not my restaurant."

Former Employee - Bartender/Server
Former Employee - Bartender/Server

I worked at Darden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours, ability to make quick money

Cons

very poor management whose incompetence was problematic to day to day operations, corporate culture that embraced cost-saving measures that directly impacted employee wages, (e.g. cutting busser and bartenders' hourly pay and compensating by implementing a mandatory, sales (not tip) based "tip-share", and value-based promotions that often involved much more labor on the part of hourly employees without adding to their compensation (e.g. AYCE shrimp and four-course meals)

Advice to Management

Upper level management should spend more time reconnecting with the operational aspect of the company. If the upper level managers observed first-hand the impracticality of many of their policies, as well as the deficiencies in their lower-level managers, I believe that many policies would be changed and appropriate candidates would sought to fill the restaurant level management positions.

Other Employee Reviews for Darden

1. "Any other serving job"

I have been working at Darden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money on hand
    50% discount
    Flexible hours

Cons

Might get stuck in that position for a while
    Financial stability depending on season and volume

2. "I was an Olive Garden Host and Server"

Former Employee - Olive Garden Host
    Former Employee - Olive Garden Host

I worked at Darden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, Organized, you get to pick your hours and availability, managers were nice, co-workers become some of your best friends, pay raise every six months if you earn it, it's easy to get shifts covered last minute, and great team work! Hosts don't get a break unless you work a split shift, but I can say 95% of the time I didn't need one.

Cons

Shift managers can schedule you wrong and you get blamed for it. There's an unreasonable amount of drama and in order to stay away from drama you have to keep to yourself, but that causes people to think you are mean. Guests can be snobby... and I got a lot of bruises from all the sharp corners and moving the very heavy chairs across the restaurant.

Advice to Management

Although they need to be more polite to their employees I really did get along with my managers. Sunday Fundays were the best!