Darling International - Very hard work and underpaid and appreciated | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Darling International

"Very hard work and underpaid and appreciated"

Pros

They are union which offers some assistance to keeping the management on a level field. They also offer a 401K plan and a pension thru the unions. The health plans are okay just alittle expensive to pay for.

Cons

Poor management, no communication, all about the numbers. It's growing too fast and its taking away from the employees. It is no longer an employee friendly company.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics and forget about the numbers. Communicate better with the employees and be more of the employee and family friendly company it once was and not the conglomerent that it has become.

Other Employee Reviews for Darling International

1. "Maintenance Manager"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Darling International (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for promotion and increased responsibilities

Cons

Long hours most times, very hard to balance work and family life

Advice to Management

Cut down overtime for hourly employees to increase profit margin.

2. "Large company with many moving parts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cold Spring, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cold Spring, KY

I have been working at Darling International full-time

Pros

I appreciate the Cold Spring office. There are benefits to working at regional offices you won't find at plants (which would be a con , I suppose, if you worked at a plant). You get free lunch, free access to an on-site gym with adequate equipment and showers, and the people are generally friendly. Compensation is adequate and there is a possibility of an annual bonus, depending on personal review and whether or not the company meets its business goals. Benefits seem fair (401K with employer match, medical, vision, dental), tuition reimbursement (must work at least 1 year before this kicks in, max of $3K in a calendar year), etc. I feel like I have been treated fairly and my hard work is noticed and appreciated.

Cons

In such a large company with so many teams and moving parts, any pros or cons will be biased depending on which department you work for and your manager. In my case, I am a hard work and feel like I am treated very fairly by my manager. For the most part, though, it seems like the more advanced roles you take on, the more disgruntled, stressed out, and frustrated people become. I honestly can't think of 1 person at Cold Spring in the IT department besides me that's generally happy with their job. I see and hear people figuratively (and literally) throwing their hands up in the air on and almost daily basis. That's pretty disconcerting.

PTO is not good compared to other large, publicly traded companies. Vacation time is obnoxious at first. You accrue vacation time when you first get hired, then your first full calendar year is only something like a max of 5 days. That's pathetic and they don't explain that clearly in the interviews or onboarding process. Your second full calendar year is when you finally get 2 paid weeks of vacation time. With few exceptions (such as regional account managers who obviously don't have a company office), working from home is technically not allowed. You are at the mercy of your manager when it comes to making adjustments in your schedule or working from home if you have no other choice (like sick kids) since you have such little vacation, PTO, and sick days (I think you literally only get 1 or 2 sick days until you have worked 5 full calendar years).

There is practically no push for team building (there are still people on my team I've never met), company events, or general employee morale boosting events of any kind.

Advice to Management

The only thing I can think of from my experience is to be more competitive with paid time off (better vacation, personal days, sick days) and actually making working from home or flex time an option.