Data Systems International - Extraordinarily challenging place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Data Systems International

"Extraordinarily challenging place to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive
Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

DSI had a reasonable technical solution set although it was too Oracle JDEdwards focussed which limitted the potential market outside North America.

They also had good IT infrastructure and HR systems for a company of their size

Cons

I have to concur with another review, DSI was quite the worst company I had ever experienced in my 18 year professional career. It was impossible to make any kind of decision as control was exerted from the CEO/CFO on just about everything which was incredibly frustrating. On top of that, I have never experienced micromanagement quite to the level I did here. Worse however was the culture of fear, I would go to work every single day wondering if I would still have a job by 5pm, it just sapped energy and motivation out of you.

Aside from personal issues, the company is trying to transform from selling a tactical solution to a more strategic one and despite working hard and gaining useful insight to the potential of the UK market, my views were considered worthless perpetuating the probable inability to transform.

Advice to Management

I have to say it is as simple as treating employees like human beings and trusting them to make more right decisions than wrong ones. As a company you are trying to break in to a new markets and if you completely shackle people you are doomed to fail.

You also need to open you ears to employee ideas even if they are critical and respond accordingly. It is easy to accuse a single employee of being weak but if ten people in a team fail you have to question if all ten were bad, or if the company was doing something wrong.

Other Employee Reviews for Data Systems International

1. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developers in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developers in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really love working here DSI it is a great place. I work in development we have a bunch of great benefits like health care, free gym, quarterly bonus, competitive salaries. A very cool break room with xboxOne, arcade, pool table, and dart table. Also have a company kitchen.

Cons

For Development not a lot of opportunities for career advancement. Causes DSI to loose a lot of talented people

Advice to Management

Development managers are all great

"Unstable. You'll be looking again soon."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hard-working people and great technology

Cons

Unstable. Layoffs/firing C-Level, VP-level individuals and entire departments without reason or warning are common. Frequent changes in company direction that significantly change your position while you have it