DataSift - I Love DataSift | Glassdoor

"I Love DataSift"

Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DataSift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is definitely a rocket ship, growing like crazy and will be public company one day. Love working with incredibly smart, fun hard working people on really interesting work.

Cons

The DataSift culture is pretty intense and fast moving. If you are looking for a slow day job, this probably isn't your place.

Advice to Management

More free lunches!

DataSift Response

Jun 24, 2014 – Head of HR

Thanks for the feedback and advice for more free lunches. I will pass it along to Senior Management and gauge their "appetite."

Other Employee Reviews for DataSift

"Exciting to be on the team of one of the top ten start-up companies in big data"

Current Employee - Head of Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head of Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DataSift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* DataSift has been named as one of the top ten start-up companies in big data.

* Datasift is igniting the next generation of social insight and changing the way enterprises, companies and teams turn social data into strategic advantage.

* Great Leadership: smart, experienced and transparent

* Great people working with amazing technology!

Cons

* Expect your basic start-up chaos.

2. "Loved it, but enough is enough"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at DataSift full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Made a lot of friends within the team. Would love to work with any of them again in the future
    - Great opportunity to learn about developing and deploying distributed systems
    - Free food/snacks means that people socialise at lunchtimes etc

Cons

- Zero career progression options
    - Stagnating product unless you're lucky enough to be chosen to spearhead the latest idea. Everyone else spends their time changing configuration files or fixing flaky tests for months on end
    - Most people have no faith in upper management. The best they hope for is that management keeps out of their way
    - Any grass-roots initiatives are "supported" but no time is allocated to them, meaning they die as fast as they start

Advice to Management

You have to keep your existing staff somehow. People are leaving not because they want to leave, but because they see no other choice. Encourage them to work to make the platform more efficient and stable.

Compensate them with cash, not options (which are widely believed to be useless). When people are getting several recruiter emails a week paying 20-30% more (and you have an amazing team, so believe me when I say that they are) it's only a matter of time until they give in and leave. The people are what is keeping people there at the moment.

Encourage professional development and realise that some flexibility from the company with be reciprocated ten-fold from those that choose to develop themselves outside of the office and sometimes need a little support (mostly time, sometimes financially [PS: They wouldn't need financial support if the aim wasn't to pay everyone as little as possible]).

In summary: Invest in people. You have an amazing team that will go above and beyond for the company. However, they don't see anything in return from the company for anything but turning up and sitting in their chair. Ask them what they think, how they would change things, if they'd like to get involved in orchestrating that change. People want to help, but they just don't feel empowered to do so.

DataSift Response

Oct 1, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Not sure if you were here during the 1:1s that I did with every employee, but several of the topics you raise came up here. I'm focused on a few areas that I... More