DataStax - The best company I ever worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DataStax

"The best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart engineers, visionary management, flexible work hours. Open-source friendly culture.
Awesome technology, everyday is something new and interesting. I'm constantly learning new stuff. Ability to work from remote and no feeling that I'm left out of sth.

Cons

Things are moving very fast. Sometimes too many things to do at once. If you're not a fast-learner and don't want to work hard, this is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

Make sure we retain the awesome culture while growing into a big company.

Other Employee Reviews for DataStax

"The sales org is a sh*tshow and boiler room."

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Datastax is supported by an awesome technology. The majority of the people at the company are pleasurable to work with. I truly feel the company will go pre-IPO by mid-2015 . . . So your equity will hold value, given you vested. The product management team and engineers are all rockstars. There is a true startup culture where everyone works hard. Cassandra has a strong community and it's growing. There is now free lunch every day.

Cons

The sales reps don't get much respect. The marketing is subpar, which impacts the sales team. You will be doing MUCH more out-bounding than following up on leads, nurturing accounts and trying to close deals. The sales org is becoming a boiler room environment where all calls are tracked. Quantity over quality doesn't work in a consultative sales environment. Not much upward mobility. The CEO, Billy, won't say "Hi" to you when you walk by him unless you initiate. The compensation plan is horrible. If you hit accelerators at a certain tier, your % decreases. I know, weird. There are a lot of false promises given. Don't believe the hype.

Advice to Management

(Rhetorical) Question of the day: Why did the talented people quit Datastax when it has such great promise?

"My husband doesn't ask me how my day was anymore... Cause he's jealous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyday is new and exiting. I look forward to actually being at work with everyone, what a concept! Even if I am having a bad day something or someone will change that frown upside down. If you want to love your job, check out DataStax.

Cons

There is so much to do in this fast pasted environment, I often times find it difficult to get everything done. But eventually it gets done.

Advice to Management

It is sometimes hard to make the difficult decision if a person, or persons, are not working out for the company or the culture. Difficult decisions should be made for the betterment of the company, and it's employees, in the long run. Bottom line, make the tough decisions now before it becomes too difficult.