DataStax - Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DataStax

"Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at DataStax because every day I work on a world changing technology with people who are brilliant, motivated and professional. The company lives up to its core values of being honest, open, and respectful. This fosters an environment where people are friendly and helpful, problems are resolved in a timely fashion, and management is responsive and transparent.

Cons

It's 2014 and we're experiencing growing pains. We've grown 5 fold in 2 years, more than half of that in the last year. We get good people who pick up the ball and run, but that still leaves some room for confusion.

For example, the company has paid lip service to putting a non-management track in for engineering, but haven't put it in place. I feel comfortable saying I trust this will be resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

The target is still shifting as the company orients itself in the market. This is a matter of self-discovery. We're still a start-up company. However, the size of the company is making this self-discovery a little uncomfortable at times.

Advice to Management

What's shared with the company internally about our focus is enlightening and helpful. We aren't where we want to be yet in terms of BHAG and company organization, but your continued efforts are moving us in that direction. More of the same.

Other Employee Reviews for DataStax

"Good Product. Terrible Sales Plan. Terrible Management."

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good solution for the Fortune 500 type company.
    - Good coworkers
    - Pretty much everyone in sales isn't earning money, so at least I'm not alone.

Cons

The ability to earn even close to the on-track earnings promised is a complete joke. The role that was sold to me as was for a consultative sales position, but unfortunately the quantitative call metrics and lead development requirements prove that was just lip service. The marketing is non-existent, the quotas are almost mathematically unachievable, and the boiler room management style of the sales leadership is laughable.

The biggest joke of all, however, is the go to market strategy. Datastax is going after the Cassandra Community, a group that expects everything for free so essentially who we end up selling against is the free version of our product.

Advice to Management

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -Winston Churchill

"The best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart engineers, visionary management, flexible work hours. Open-source friendly culture.
    Awesome technology, everyday is something new and interesting. I'm constantly learning new stuff. Ability to work from remote and no feeling that I'm left out of sth.

Cons

Things are moving very fast. Sometimes too many things to do at once. If you're not a fast-learner and don't want to work hard, this is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

Make sure we retain the awesome culture while growing into a big company.