DataStax - Poor Sales Culture | Glassdoor

"Poor Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Sales
Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great technology and really smart people to work with. Solutions are great for the enterprise level Fortune 500 type customers. Really great support team that has a strong focus on helping their customers.

Cons

Sales culture is turning into an "Oracle" type of atmosphere and boiler room environment where sales management is pitting the sales team against each other. Sales team is not set up for success and have not been provided any type of lead generation help for years. Sales management seems to think that goals are going to be achieved with a 100% outbound model. Very small percentage of sales team is actually making their quotas and the ones that are. Are the new reps on ramped quota and were provided territories with existing opportunities from previous reps. Management has no accountability and finger points the issues to the individual reps without taking any responsibility for why they may be under performing. CEO doesn't seem to like sales people. Lots of turnover within the sales organization.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get a clue and set up the sales team for success and not have unrealistic expectations with a 100% outbound model. Support the team and not just the new reps coming on board. Ask yourselves why so many talented sales people left the company....

Other Employee Reviews for DataStax

"Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at DataStax because every day I work on a world changing technology with people who are brilliant, motivated and professional. The company lives up to its core values of being honest, open, and respectful. This fosters an environment where people are friendly and helpful, problems are resolved in a timely fashion, and management is responsive and transparent.

Cons

It's 2014 and we're experiencing growing pains. We've grown 5 fold in 2 years, more than half of that in the last year. We get good people who pick up the ball and run, but that still leaves some room for confusion.

For example, the company has paid lip service to putting a non-management track in for engineering, but haven't put it in place. I feel comfortable saying I trust this will be resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

The target is still shifting as the company orients itself in the market. This is a matter of self-discovery. We're still a start-up company. However, the size of the company is making this self-discovery a little uncomfortable at times.

Advice to Management

What's shared with the company internally about our focus is enlightening and helpful. We aren't where we want to be yet in terms of BHAG and company organization, but your continued efforts are moving us in that direction. More of the same.

"Good Product. Terrible Sales Plan. Terrible Management."

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good solution for the Fortune 500 type company.
    - Good coworkers
    - Pretty much everyone in sales isn't earning money, so at least I'm not alone.

Cons

The ability to earn even close to the on-track earnings promised is a complete joke. The role that was sold to me as was for a consultative sales position, but unfortunately the quantitative call metrics and lead development requirements prove that was just lip service. The marketing is non-existent, the quotas are almost mathematically unachievable, and the boiler room management style of the sales leadership is laughable.

The biggest joke of all, however, is the go to market strategy. Datastax is going after the Cassandra Community, a group that expects everything for free so essentially who we end up selling against is the free version of our product.

Advice to Management

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -Winston Churchill