DataStax - Poor Sales Culture | Glassdoor

"Poor Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Sales
Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great technology and really smart people to work with. Solutions are great for the enterprise level Fortune 500 type customers. Really great support team that has a strong focus on helping their customers.

Cons

Sales culture is turning into an "Oracle" type of atmosphere and boiler room environment where sales management is pitting the sales team against each other. Sales team is not set up for success and have not been provided any type of lead generation help for years. Sales management seems to think that goals are going to be achieved with a 100% outbound model. Very small percentage of sales team is actually making their quotas and the ones that are. Are the new reps on ramped quota and were provided territories with existing opportunities from previous reps. Management has no accountability and finger points the issues to the individual reps without taking any responsibility for why they may be under performing. CEO doesn't seem to like sales people. Lots of turnover within the sales organization.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get a clue and set up the sales team for success and not have unrealistic expectations with a 100% outbound model. Support the team and not just the new reps coming on board. Ask yourselves why so many talented sales people left the company....

Other Employee Reviews for DataStax

"Good Product. Terrible Sales Plan. Terrible Management."

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good solution for the Fortune 500 type company.
    - Good coworkers
    - Pretty much everyone in sales isn't earning money, so at least I'm not alone.

Cons

The ability to earn even close to the on-track earnings promised is a complete joke. The role that was sold to me as was for a consultative sales position, but unfortunately the quantitative call metrics and lead development requirements prove that was just lip service. The marketing is non-existent, the quotas are almost mathematically unachievable, and the boiler room management style of the sales leadership is laughable.

The biggest joke of all, however, is the go to market strategy. Datastax is going after the Cassandra Community, a group that expects everything for free so essentially who we end up selling against is the free version of our product.

Advice to Management

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -Winston Churchill

"Personal and business growth."

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Smartest bunch of people I know where we can openly discuss issues and bring in people to solve problems. Email chains are a thing of a past, I need answers I'll just hipchat them. Distributed teams, challenging and fulfilling work.

Cons

Work life balance, lots of exciting things to do not enough time to do it.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing.