Dave & Buster's - very mixed feelings | Glassdoor

"very mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Busser/Runner in Islandia, NY
Current Employee - Busser/Runner in Islandia, NY

I have been working at Dave & Buster's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly managers and coworkers, decent tips, 50% off food on break. after a year long job search, these guys are the only people who gave me a chance and I really appreciate it.

Cons

crappy hours, horribly understaffed. the hours scheduled for you are not always accurate. on weekends, expect to stay late and to be so swamped with work that you might as well skip your break if you wanna be out of there close to on time. this week, I don't have a minute to myself as it's spring break. however, I don't think it's really management's fault. they try to make everyone happy, but sales come first. it may be understaffed because the tip out for bussers is so low (2% of servers total) that they'd have very little to pay us. you can become a server, but i'm told it takes several months. as grateful as I am to have a job at all, i don't know how long i'll be able to keep this up. it's only been three months and i'm aching all over.

Advice to Management

please hire more bussers, enough so there are at least two in the dining room at peak hours!

Other Employee Reviews for Dave & Buster's

1. "Good work, horrible management."

Former Employee - Food Runner, Waitstaff in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Food Runner, Waitstaff in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Busy when busy, always things to do.

Cons

Management was juvenile, made lots of promises they wouldn't keep.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

2. "It gets worse as time goes on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time

Pros

Abundance of hours if you need them, nice starting pay, sometimes friendly management and co-worker staff, good place to start off but get out asap.

Cons

You have to deal with rude guests, management doesn't even follow company policy that anyone under 21 has to be accompanied by an adult, so you will have to work with obnoxious kids. You can wave your weekends/sanity goodbye. You have a half off discount on food when you work, but the food is so disgusting and still overpriced that it's still not worth it. Understaffed most of the time, if you work on any holiday/ time where kids are out of school there is no increased pay, you will be swamped with work, and you expected to stay late to restock everything that was sold. Management makes it difficult to balance school and work at the same time. There is always specific favoritism going on when management makes the schedule. If you do not agree to call in shifts you get treated harshly by management. Absolutely no room for improvement unless you are an exceptional server. Be prepared to work many late exhausting nights.

Advice to Management

Hold employees that often call out more responsible, and treat your employees that are responsible and work hard better. Actually implement company policy as intended as opposed to when it is convenient to you.