David's Bridal - A company that loves its people-and it's customers! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for David's Bridal

"A company that loves its people-and it's customers!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time

Pros

The company is in a great place right now, and is only getting better! Other Bridal retailers had better watch out!

Cons

Not really-keep trying new things! Change is good!

Advice to Management

Keep the push to exceed service expectatations. In an industry where demand is so high, to be number one in service and value means you would leave everyone else in the dust.

Other Employee Reviews for David's Bridal

1. "Working for David's..."

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my Job at David's Bridal.
    -The hours aren't TOO long for retail,
    -You get to be around beautiful gowns all day,
    -My co-workers are awesome,
    -You get to help a bride find her dream dress.
    -They carry most of their sizes in the store, so you dont have to upset, embarass or dissappoint a customer.
    Its all around FUN to work there.

Cons

Even though I love my job here,
    -The store is only allowed 2 full time consultants, so theres not much room for growth, no benefits or vacation; So you work 35 hours a week (practically full time) and you aren't actually considered a full timer.
    -The comission is ridiculous, you have to sell at a minimum amount per every hour you work in order to make comisson, and if your'e working Weekday mornings, this can get difficult and some weeks it is immpossible.
    -I mean no direspect, but Because David's Bridal is considered a more affordable place for Brides to shop, you will get some brides who are sometimes difficult to work with; Sometimes they dont speak english, sometimes they cant budge on their budget and you cant find anything to accomodate them, and some are very rude, etc.

Advice to Management

Work harder at keeping your valuable employees. If you like them, and praise them, dont just shrug it off when they cant stay because you cant offer them a full time job. Fight for your employee.

2. "Loved the job disliked the company"

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being able to connect with your bride/customer and give her that once in a lifetime moment of finding "the gown". I really enjoyed being able to put a look together for someone by listening to what they did and did not want. It very rewarding to build that bond with your bride to the point that she only wants to come back and work with you.

Cons

This job is not the "fun, let's play dress up all day" job everyone thinks it to be. It is A LOT of hard work. It is very physically and emotionally draining. HIgh expectations....LOW pay. As a full time consultant with highest average sales in my store I made $28,000 out of the $350,000 I sold in a year. You work on commission, but when you're sick or take vacation you only get paid $7.50/hr. I just feel this corporation does not reward their long time, hard working employees at all.

Advice to Management

I really think this company has it backwards. I worked as a full time consultant for 6 years. Consultants work HARD. Its is a hard job. Brides come in expecting one on one attention which I know is unrealistic. But there are times especially during Saturdays that we were given 3+ brides at a time because the DM would not let us turn anyone away. This is unfair to the brides that made appts and are now with a consultant that is overworked and overwhelmed. No one wins. There needs to be a line drawn when it is just too much. If a consultant is helping 3 brides.....lets face it, no one is getting the attention they deserve and everyone will walk out without a gown.
           The biggest advice that I have is about changing the way you treat your employees. Being a full time consultant for 6 years I find it HIGHLY offensive that I sell $350,000+ a year for you and out of that I made $28,000. And when I take vacation I get paid $7.50/hr. I would LOVE someone sitting up in their corporate office to come and work as a consultant for a few weeks and see what you think the pay should be. I know the upper management get paid VERY well as does corporate. Pay it forward to the people that do all the heavy lifting for you and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high.
       Lastly, this 3 headpiece thing is dated. NO one wants to wear 3 head pieces anymore and by trying to force brides into wearing 3 things on their head is just going to push them out the door and into another bridal shop. Consultants are constantly getting reprimanded for not selling 3 head pieces to brides. Of course as a consultant I wanted to make the highest sales....my paycheck depended on it...but pressure is not the way to do it. It constantly comes down from coporate, "why didn't you sell this?", "Why didn't you put her in the $2000 gown?" "Why didn't she buy a slip?", ......Beacause we listen to our brides and when she says her budget is $500....I don't bring her anything much higher.
             If you read the customer comments report that comes out quarterly you can see that the majority of the negative comments pertain to "my consultant was too busy", or the "store was too busy", or "my consultant was bringing me things I didn't ask for". All of these comments are because of the way Corporate wants the store run. I really ask that you take some time, go into your stores and talk to the seasoned consultants. Since they are the ones "DOING" the job, get their opinions and ideas. It will go along way!
        Lastly, being open on the major holidays is abolutely rediculous! On the 4th of July our store had 2 customers all day! There is absolutely NO REASON to be open on New Year's Day or the 4th of July. Let your employees celebrate with their families like you guys in coporate get to. If you create a good company to work for, I promise your sales will increase.