Davis Polk - Awesome culture, great experience, friendly people, best place to work in NY Biglaw | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Davis Polk

"Awesome culture, great experience, friendly people, best place to work in NY Biglaw"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Davis Polk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People treat you with respect and make a real effort to avoid needless late night and weekend work, firm morale is very high, consensus is that the firm is headed in the right direction and expanding strategically both from a practice area perspective and geographically. Vacation time is absolutely sacred and everyone takes all 4-5 weeks.

Cons

Hours can be long and very unpredictable, but this is the nature of the industry. Not a lot of firm-wide events, would be nice to have some more opportunities for social interaction with colleagues.

Other Employee Reviews for Davis Polk

1. "Interesting and challenging (in a good way)"

Current Employee - Corporate Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Davis Polk full-time

Pros

Given a lot of responsibility upon demonstrating skills

Cons

Can be very long hours

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the communication between senior associates and legal assistants

"AA Department could be better"

Pros

The work there was interesting, especially as a floater AA. As long as you followed instructions closely, continued to display your high skill level, and really knew what you were doing you were OK

Cons

Some of the assigned AA's were not very nice, and usually displayed bullying types of attitudes and natures toward floaters. The staff in the other departments were nicer and better to work with. So I think that the problem has a lot to do with the way the AA dept is run. If AA's (esp the ones who have worked there for 10 years can learn to be nicer, the dept as a whole would be as well. But I don't see that changing anytime soon, and I didn't see that change for the better when I finally got out of there either.

Advice to Management

No advice to management since it's assumed that they already know how to treat AA's and floater AA's with respect and dignity, although I've experienced the complete opposite when I started working there a few years back. Treat your subordinates with the respect that they deserve and you'll keep them longer.