DeVry University - Admissions Advisor | Glassdoor

"Admissions Advisor"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL
Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, stock options, free tuition

Cons

High Pressure, low salary, low salary

Advice to Management

Don't micro-manage. Trust your advisors

Other Employee Reviews for DeVry University

"Soulless, money-grubbing, micromanaging, the worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - High-level Administrative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - High-level Administrative in New York, NY

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is profitable, and will probably remain in business longer than other "Dead men walking" in the for-profit educational industry

Cons

DeVry is a for-profit university. It does not matter what word follows for-profit, however. This is a miserly, pinched view of the world. You will receive little training, and you will quickly come to understand that it is not about mission, it is not about respect, it is not about the students, it is simply about profit, without regard to how it is earned.

Advice to Management

You have assembled a group of people at most parts of your organization who work there solely for economic reasons: people who can get out, do, except for those at the top who profit from this arrangement via stock options. Tie executive compensation to both long-term shareholder value and student performance. Hire citizen-soldiers, per Machiavelli, not mercenaries

"Micromanaging to a new level, decent starter salary, not a long term move however!!!!"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training processes for a new salesperson bka admissions advisor is second to none. Teamwork is an understatement, there are coworkers here who will bend ovver backwards and then some to help you out. The pay and benefits are decent considering the routine nature of the work.

Cons

People say "I hate to be micromanaged" but they have no idea what DeVry has in store, if it weren't borderline stalkerish I'd be amazed at the technology. Mattersight records voice patterns and word combinations to ensure compliance, salesforce.com and collabrio monitor/record every dial that you make. Managers are walking throught the aisles to ensure you stay on task and emails-instant messages-internet activity can be monitored in real time. Additionally there is one mgr for every 10-12 reps so there are literally 12 people aiming for management and one opening annually persay so there can be carrot dangling for promotions which encourages a bit of backstabbing from time to time in an effort to limelight outside of normal recognition.

Advice to Management

You hire some grat people, give us a little room to breath not only will I still produce I may even increase production by letting my natural style woo potentail students. Additionally don't insult my intelligence, just because you assign an inquiry to the 7 day folder doesn't mean it's really 7 days old...If a person requested information about college in 2010 and it's 2013 they obviously aren't interested. Calling daily or twice daily isn't going to change their minds. This is college not a timeshare.