DeVry University - It was great, but hired wrong leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University

"It was great, but hired wrong leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as High School Presenter. Having the flexible schedule and working with student.
Technology in the Classroom Presentation as well as the Advantage Academy which they had in 2 states.
Discounts on grad schools.
Out of all the For-Profit schools they did it the right away. Accredited, and like any other
University.
If you are fresh out of college its not a bad gig

Cons

Too Many: ( Should have left at 4 years) Got suckered by the money
Redundancy in task.
Minorities were rarely promoted so unless you were a white male or attractive white female then forget it. The Current Director of Channel Admissions has never done admissions but they promoted her over the Hispanic bilingual male who has 9 years of admissions experience. So if you are white male they will keep you and promote you.

Poor Leadership. The University never made it a priority to track what students came from what high schools. When we went into the homes, we had a better understanding of where are students came from. When we went to the Presenter/ Closer model we lost that. As Presenters when Counselors asked what students from previous years classes were attending the University we could only say " I do not know." or " A few" but we had no idea.

Lastly the University opened too many campuses too quickly and never concentrated on the Quality of Life of the students. Athletics, Student Groups,etc. Just a new presentation does not answer the questions of " For- Profits Schools"

We went from 16 week classes to 8 week classes. 12 weeks would have been ideal but shoving too many classes into a tight frame.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people running your High School Program, Invest in your campuses from facilities, campus life and improving your reputation so the students will not only get hired but movies and TV shows will stop using the University as a punchline.

Other Employee Reviews for DeVry University

"Worst company, Stay Away"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Long Beach, CA

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the nice people I worked with.

Cons

Horrible management. Horrible company and pay. Management needs to be trained on how to motivate and talk to employees. Director of Admissions is a jerk and belittles people, campus president should take some courses herself on managing a campus and treating employees with respect.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and stop pressuring people to sell.

2. "Admissions"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, high regulatory standards, academic quality, good people, thorough training program

Cons

Recent downsizing and company layoffs and need of marketing strategy are two items that lead to frustration in the role in admissions

Advice to Management

none