Deb Shops - Current Asst. Mgr | Glassdoor

"Current Asst. Mgr"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 40% Discount
- Getting to see the clearance deals first
- They FINALLY got rid of LTO50
- I believe that the new CEO, Dawn, is going to be running things similarly to how the old owners did. Markdowns, Clinics, and Promos will have certain days so that we are able to plan accordingly.
- Clear cut goals for KPIs.

Cons

- Lazy upper management. While supposed to be physically out on the floor helping you, they are on the phone or their laptops in the back pretending to be doing work.
- This company is in need of markdown/promo guns. Giving employees a list of 87943275987 SKUs wastes a massive amount of time. I'm unsure if this company even has an Operations Manager, but if not - they need one.
- I've worked for this company for 2+ years. The different trainings for the sales associates have varied greatly. It's gotten to the point where some of the more veteraned sales girls don't even know what I'm talking about when I train the new girls. Once sales girls are trained, that's it. There's never more training. Of course there is "coaching in the moment" and the need for mandated store meetings with no payroll, but there needs to be company wide trainings to get everyone on the same page.
- PAYROLL. For the love of God and all that is holy, please go back to the matrix. I don't think it's right that we have 230 hours for a high volume store.
- There is not even a hint of work/life balance. None. Especially not for management. I am consistently called on every single day I have off. I'm only an Assistant, but since our store doesn't have a Store Manager and I'm the most experienced, all of the responsibility falls on me.
- If you have any type of post high school education, this company does not seem to value it. Having a degree in the field, I was offered the same compensation rate as those without one. When I inquired about moving up to a district manager role, I was laughed at. I was told I would have to be a Store Manager first. My dream career is to be valued by a company and to be given challenging work. Working for Deb Shops does not fit that dream.
- I don't think that the Orion survey is a good tool. I interviewed a young girl who worked at a competitor. She was totally dedicated to our brand, engaged our customers during her "on the floor interview exercise," and came with a lot of retail experience. This sweet, innocent, church-going girl was denied employment because she didn't answer the correct combination of answers to the Orion. It certainly needs to be reevaluated.
- Absolutely NO positive feedback from upper management. It creates a depressing work environment and minimal desire to help the company achieve KPIs.

Advice to Management

This is targeted towards management above a Store Manager: Please, if you see your stores struggling, get your hands dirty and help them. Sitting in the back gossiping to your other SMs about how poorly one of your SMs are doing is not helping.

Other Employee Reviews for Deb Shops

"It was really tough at times, but it also had many fun moments."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DEB is has a lot of good people working, they are willing to help and explain new parts of the job well. The managers are trained well and listen to the employees.

Cons

It seemed strange to me that even though the store is trying to promote a "hip" style of dress, the employees are not allowed to wear the t-shirts that the store sells. When the store is short staffed, covering all the sections can become a real problem.

"While the potential for success was evident, the internal processes, directives, and communications led to chaos."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

Variety of merchandise and customers, potential for rewarding career

Cons

lack of clear directions, no accountability system, process for daily tasks not defined

Advice to Management

Markdowns and promotional changes need to be reformatted- a list of sku#s makes the process of identifying and locating the necessary merchandise extremely time-consuming and ineffective. Code the merchandise, have themes on tags so new products can easily be identified and placed correctly in displays. Install security cameras and gates- too much opportunity for theft becomes overwhelming on managers.