Deem - Making a comeback and trying very hard | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deem

"Making a comeback and trying very hard"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It seems that the company is trying to put its best foot forward because things were not so great in the past ( I have only been here for six months if that gives any context). There are many employees that telecommute at least part of the time, so depending on your department it can be a fairly flexible work environment.

Work life balance is definitely whats happening here and I feel this comes from the Managers and down, so very positive about that. This is not some tech sweatshop. And most of the employees are in their 30s-40s. This is more of a mature technology company - not some early-stage company with 20-year olds running around.

The company also just raised a huge $50 million round and is going to be hiring lots of people to fill positions. Which means that there is plenty of growth potential.

The CEO is very gung-ho and loves to chat with everyone in the company. There are a large number of employees that I meet who have been here for 3-7 years, which is very rare in silicon valley.

Cons

There is a considerable number of higher level managers who work from home ( because they live all over the US - but the headquarters are in SF). I think its hard to connect with employees on the daily - when most of the meetings are over skype or conference calls/webex.

Also, we have a great office with amazing downtown views - we should be using it more for company events to get people excited about Deem and working in the city.

Have not really been here long enough to see any major weaknesses.

Advice to Management

You guys/gals are pushing the company in the right direction. Keep talking with the various levels in the company and make sure they are all on the same page ( I know its hard with a workforce spread across the globe).

There are some amazing opportunities around the corner.

Oct 1, 2014 – Lead Recruiter

Glad to hear positive feedback and how much you enjoy working at Deem!

Other Employee Reviews for Deem

"Employee don't drink whatever Kool aid CEO is drinking"

I worked at Deem full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to find any except venture capital is footing the bill. I am surprised that CEO is able keep fooling VCs for this long.

Cons

Almost entire top management except CEO left in last 5 years.

Also READ reviews of "Rearden Commerce" before the name change to Deem.
    CEO changes direction at every six month. If you listen to his meetings, every time, he is running after "cool" thing. Whatever "cool" in past no longer matters. Look at Katera and HomeRun acquisitions at the tune of 60 to 80 million. Stupidest investments.

Advice to Management

Get someone new as CEO. How many hundreds of million does it need to be wasted to figure that out? I am surprised that in Silicon Valley culture, CEO never gets fired.

Oct 1, 2014 – Lead Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback. You're correct in the fact that Deem was formally Rearden Commerce, but things have tremendously improved since we re-branded the company. Many employees have expressed ... More

"Poorly run company with lack of answers to its problems"

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed clothing policy
    Full benefits but not inexpensive as this company is small
    Sales team is fun and pleasant to be around

Cons

Lack of good compensation plan- It has been reduced twice to compensate for managements mistakes on the distribution side of the business. This has impacted sales and reduced ability to earn a good living. It will only get worse as no revenue is being generated. Change of focus and partners lead to loss of pipelines and cancelation of possible deals to close. Merchants are not getting any new customers and sales is not making good money. Poor local management who locks themselves away all day and does nothing else but have meetings and has almost zero interaction with most of the sales team.

Advice to Management

Local management needs to show up, be on the floor more and have better attitudes. Saying hello would be a nice change of pace. Maybe smiling and not being rude about a deal that has issues would be appreciated. Responding to emails would be a good thing to do instead of making excuses about how it was missed. Using more than one metric and managing individuals would be a nice concept. Upper management could learn to hold meetings that apply to sales and leave us out of all the rest. Sales wants to hear about distribution being fixed, better partners, more commission and improvements to sales processes and new lead sources/markets. Nothing else really matters. The comp plan was reduced because we lack revenue and management is looking to cut costs. Cutting costs by paying less to its sales force seems to be the plan at this point. What happens when the borrowed money runs out and no revenue is being generated? Right now certain divisions are a tax write off as I see it. That's about it.

Oct 1, 2014 – Lead Recruiter

We pride ourselves in our culture and it's good to hear you were impacted by that. We fully agree that collaboration and teamwork is key to our overall success. We have created a new seating chart ... More