Dell - Career growth and development of professional and engineering skills | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

"Career growth and development of professional and engineering skills"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High paced environment, plenty of on the job learning and development of very in depth technical skills. Competitive salary in the enterprise space. Has a good long term plan for their enterprise business.

Cons

Treated like a number, not really valued as an individual. Work life balance is not very good, not a pro-family company. Once you reach a certain age you are targeted for reduction in force, they tend to show age-ism when it comes to hiring, preferring young and cheap labor. Not a place you can spend your entire career.

Advice to Management

Need to have a comprehensive enterprise solutions strategy for IT customers. right now the enterprise products are a disjointed collection of various companies that have been acquired. They need to eliminate some of these acquired brands and roll their IP and products into a unified Dell solution offering, much like Cisco's UCS

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

"Hands Down, Great Place to Work for 20-Somethings"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You repeatedly hear the Dell is the "Best 3rd Job You'll Ever Have." This is because many people come to Dell, find something they don't like or find what they think is a better opportunity and leave, and eventually come back because Dell is such a great company to work for. Below is why it is such a great place, especially for young people:

Great Work Environment - Young, fun 20-somethings made up the majority of the consumer division, free lunch from vendors at least once a week, casual dress (t-shirt and shorts in the summer, jeans and a hoodie in the winter), quarterly rallies, fun theme-days, on-site gym/cafeteria/coffee stand, XBox, air hockey table, Ski Ball Table, ping pong tables

Management was available when needed - everyone from your trainers, mentors, coaches, team managers, and upper-level (if needed).

Great Benefits. Enough said.

Pay - Great hourly pay plus commission and bonus/SPIFF money, especially in the fall/winter when call volume is the heaviest. Easy to make 40-50K right out of school.

Work/Life Balance - Depends on which shift you pick or are assigned to. I worked good shifts the entire time I was there. 8-5 Sunday-Thursday. There are quarters where you pick your own shift, based on performance from the previous quarter. So as long as you are good at your job, you got to pick the best shift. If you did not perform, why should you get to pick anyways?

Advancement - Plenty of advancement in all divisions of Dell, as long as you hit your numbers, which is not hard to do.

Cons

High Turnover. Probably because they hire just about anyone. You do not have to know a thing about computers to get the job. There's training for that. But to keep the job, advance, and make money, you have to know about computers and be able to simplify them for less tech-saavy consumers.

It is a call center so you are chained to a desk all day. Know this before applying and be able to handle it.

If you do not perform, you will get micro-managed. However, that seems to be the case for all sales jobs, and most jobs in general. If you hit your numbers consistently, the day is your own and they rarely bug you.

Also, the commission and bonus/SPIFF money could be paid out sooner. Sometimes I would have to wait over a month to get it. So if you miss out one month, it could be a while before you get another bonus.

You do hear a lot of calls with complaints about the tech support in India. However, this is the case with most major companies. Its just the way the world works. Help out the best you can and move on.

Advice to Management

I loved my time at Dell and would still be there if I had not moved out of the Nashville area. Only advice is to keep doing what you're doing.

"Going downhill, fast in Dell Healthcare"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Layoffs have made it where managers are responsible for a very large number of reps, meaning oversight is minimal. I can concentrate on my job for the most part and sell, not worry about Mickey mouse busy work form micro mangers.

Cons

Where to start...morale is very low, as we face another round of layoffs after missing our H1 number (and yes, we're on a half system, which minimizes your chances to blow out your number.). I have to fight to get credit on every single order I sell. Reporting is nonexistent and the sales support staff who should handle this kind of thing are long gone. Dell HR exists only as a phone queue, and one based in India at that. We're supposed to have generalists we can meet in person, but I've never seen one. The Perot 'integration' is a sham--we've laid off just about all former Perot employees, and those guys knew there stuff for the most part. Our move to be a services company is a wreck, in my opinion...unreasonable margin floors for deals, inadequate staff, lack of commitment and understanding up and down the line. I've been with dell for quite some time and it is sad to see what it has become.

Advice to Management

If we are truly to be a services company, the current mangement team just ain't cutting it. I know Dell will never pay in line with the industry, but at least you can start paying us for that which we actually sell. instead of stripping to the bone during lean times, why not double down on your commitment to your employees? Do you not have faith in us?