Dell - It has it's ups and downs... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

"It has it's ups and downs..."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

As a whole....i'm not sure there is. Departmental wise is good, if you work in an area that takes care of you. Thankfully i am there and am able to do my work without being micromanaged. I can take time off as I need to and I actually enjoy coming to work each day

Cons

Politics, just as with any company, dictate too many business decisions. Whereas 5-10 yrs ago you could provide an idea and it would be run with. Now it seems almost as if your idea is immediately shot down and you are told 'that's now what we want to do with the company' - tools to do our job are lacking. Tools are developed that tend to benefit one department over another...while I/T is beginning to grasp these tools and standarize acrosst the company, there are still many tools that prevent us from being able to do our job correctly and fully being able to provide the positive customer experience that we yearn for. The layoff cloud still hangs around and you never know if the next day is your last day.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your customers....Apple and HP seem to be offering what customers want where as our products almost seem mediocre to what they offer. Our product is good, but it can be better. In addition, make sure you KEEP the talent that built this company instead of getting rid of your best people under the guise of reducing costs. This will hurt you in the long run

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

1. "The sleeper has awakened."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Great people, great products, outlook for the future is incredible. New notebooks, services, and growth regions all present huge opportuntity for us to take back the #1 spot once and for all.

Cons

Dell is slowly emerging from a 'sleeper' period..and grow and change is painful but exciting.
    Morale has been affected but it's starting to come around. The downside is simply that it's taking too long.

Advice to Management

More and better promotion and advertisement. We can't grow the Consumer business with just the best products alone..we have to have better advertising. More new tools and technologies inside Dell. Focus M & A activity on making Dell cool again...expand Alienware.

2. "Your mileage may vary"

Former Employee - Enterprise Regional Support Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Enterprise Regional Support Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Experience, professional growth. Management is spotty, but I worked for some good managers that I respected. I was able to get good training and experience in the area I wanted to focus on. Management did do a great job keeping us focused on task andd not allowing other jobs to interfere.

Cons

Using refurb older equipment for employees. Bureaucratic hurdles everywhere. Much talk little action. I had a lot of travel. Traveling with older equipment while representing Dell was something of an embarrassment. My manager had too many direct reports to keep on top of.

Advice to Management

Clear the bureaucrats. Make things easier to get done. Allow more risk taking.