Dell - Adminstration Skills? | Glassdoor

"Adminstration Skills?"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager - EBD Division in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

solid product training at the beggining. Decent presales support representatives assisting sales team. Good training on IT hardware on IT storage, servers, virtualization in general. Good commission on high margin deals/sales won...

Cons

extreemly high load of admin yet this role was positioned to me as senior. Had worked in a previous company ( at an equivalent level ) there was a much more structured set up of data on clients which was accurate & was a starting point from which to profile a given enterprise for opportunity, Zero realistic marketing support - eBlasts sent to contacts often moved on from company, inaccurate / non decision making + even in some cases deceased! A very rective 'quotey' type of sales job. If you are lucky your a/c base will hit its own target. If you are not, you could be superman with the portfolio you get & not make target. Had to work with an internal sales trainer who was used to coaching v. junior level sales staff ( from the exponential growth of Dell days ) & was winging it, personally clashed with him which 'blemished' my image on next line manager I had to work with . Had 3 sales managers in 12 months ! . Managers r under a lot of pressure themselves & primarily 'bean count' but are nice people. List RRP's on the quoting systems were way higher than in the market price / web price. So even using say 40% discount in some cases appeared in the eyes of the buyer as just an 20% or so discount...what a mess. The new channel team also is eating up the old 'direct' install base...it's easier for a VAR/ISV/Reseller to sell Dell kit to an exisiting 'dell house' /hardware install base than say againsts competitie HP/IBM kit. this too could be a real challenge. It's a roll of the dice with the place. The recruiter there had genuine hopes for me,despite the fact that I only lasted a year in the company & the fact that she is there 10years + in the Dublin / Cherrywood + Bray sites, she had no clue on the massive adminstrative nature of the job. Usually excellent sales representatives are crap secretaries. Join a Dell / HP / IBM reseller instead ! Had to work on Multiple systems but I beleive now it is all on Salesforce.com

Advice to Management

Take genuine time to understand the past experience of new employees. Please help them adjust to the role..

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

"Really enjoy working at Dell"

Pros

I have complete work life flexibility. I am able to work from home as need and for the most part given the freedom that I want or need as long as I get my work done.

Cons

Constant change can be a drag. Right when you get everything figured out, it changes again. So a lot of time seems to be spent in flux and trying to figure out who is who and what is what.

Advice to Management

The direction seems to be chosen. Please stick to it and dont chose another direction in 6 months. The vibe right now seems good. Lets keep it up.

"Good place to work for moderately aggressive work culture"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Competitive Pay
    Long term assignments
    Strong client relationship with existing accounts

Cons

Weak Senior Management
    No performance reviews
    No career advancement

Advice to Management

Please review Director's potential and knowledge for managing accounts