Dell - Competetive pay and flexible work life balance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

"Competetive pay and flexible work life balance."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Round Rock, TX

Pros

There is competetive pay for the type of job. You have flexible hours and ability to do your job from anywhere. This company is headed in the right direction and making a comeback. You will be challenged, which is a good thing in a job instead of being bored.

Cons

Inconsistent statements of direction. Too worried about metrics for metrics sake. Management is clueless at times and cuts costs in the wrong places, just because they were directed to from upper management. They will also hire in areas that need no people, and neglect other areas of the company.

Advice to Management

Dive into what the metrics mean, not just that we need to increase or lower a measurement. Why are the meaurements this way ? Is there something outside what you are measuring that is driving the measurements ?

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

1. "Content... but Improvements could be made"

Current Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Work Life balance is perfect. Management is open and honest during the review sessions. There is a requirement that your manager meets with you bi weekly to discuss anything that you may want to discuss (1x1).

Cons

Very large company contributes to bureaucratic nature. It's hard to stand out when you are one in a crowd. There doesn't ever seem to be any definitive decision. What you do today may be irrelevant to corporate strategy tomorrow. Loose descriptions of job titles plays into the ambiguous role. Seem across teams ideas and collaboration are very guarded and there's almost an unwillingness to 'help' other teams out when it would actually benefit themselves.

Advice to Management

They need to provide direction and rely less on their direct reports providing ideas and leadership, and more on providing that themselves.

2. "Good place to get experience in multiple areas."

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

I have been able to move to many groups and gain opportunities I might not have elsewhere.
    My managers have always rewarded me for the work I do. I work very hard and long hours, but at least they notice.

Cons

Not the highest paying company.
    Because management changes so frequently, and we move from one guardrail to the other, it can be hard on employees.
    It is all about who you work for. You have to choose your manager as much as your job, because so little is decided at a company level.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. We jump around so much we don't give anything a chance to actually work before we change it.
    Listen to your people. There are a lot of smart people working for you. Give them a chance to have their ideas heard.