Dell - It's a job, not a career. Software as commodity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

"It's a job, not a career. Software as commodity."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

Pros

Perot Systems aka Dell Services, does practically all the IT for Harvard Pilgrim, whose business is very very solid. The pay check will not bounce. There is not much separation between the Harvard Pilgrim people, the Dell people, and the contractors. I was a contractor. The company is very parent friendly, and has a much larger fraction of technical women and technical members of minorities (such as Black and from India) than other places I have worked. Colleagues are very friendly and help one another.

Cons

The commute to Wellesley is stall-and-crawl almost every day. Most people I interacted with were contractors and the change in personnel was rapid and ongoing. It's a job, not a career. Computer software was viewed very much as a commodity. Knowledge of any particular system was not valued. Rules for health insurance are made difficult and complex for no good reason I could determine. If I were a doctor trying to comply with what insurance would support it would drive me nuts. Security was managed as an impediment. People usually were not given the access they needed to do their jobs, for many months and years. The software was archaeic. Windows XP in 2011! The machines locked up multiple times a day, possibly due to some of the disk encryption software. Lots of essential knowledge was never written down. You had to know the right person to ask, and often had to ask them more than once in different ways before they would admit to knowing what you needed to find out.. Since most people expected to be laid off, having exclusive knowledge might save a person's job, but that made it hard on anyone else who needed to know.

Advice to Management

Upgrade to a newer version of Windows, or better yet, move entirely to Linux. Solve the problem of PCs that freeze up.

Don't hire someone pretending you want them long term when you only want them short term. Be honest on that.

These people who keep adding security impediments should be forced to have their cell-phone number used all night all year including week-ends and their vacations, to be the on-call person for the problems this impeding causes. When they have been woken up in the middle of the night or interrupted in the middle of a meeting or a thought for the umpteenth time, they might decide that not allowing people the access they need to do their jobs is a bad way to run things. When someone requests access and it is appropriate to give them access, you need to debug the system that gives them access, not bury them in incomprehensible questions. There needs to be a way to appeal to a more senior person when the current level appears unable to understand what access is wanted or how to provide it.

Force the "Center of Excellence" to answer questions with a 2 week time limit. Having the answer 6 months after it is relevant is not a good use of resources and tends to lead to solutions nobody uses.

Reward people for writing down what they know, and not by laying them off.

Rethink employee retention. It is cheaper not to retrain a new person every 3 months. I would only recommend working for your company if someone needed a job for 6 months of less and had other plans after that.

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

"My day consists of managing mostly small, unchallenging, un-interesting projects"

Current Employee - Project Program Management Senior Analyst in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Project Program Management Senior Analyst in Lincoln, NE

Pros

It is easy work for the pay. Nobody around me works hard or performs at a high level, so its easy to appear to be an achiever. The work does not take me outside of 40 hours a week very often.

Cons

I don't feel like what I do matters. The talent level is not that strong.

"Good expereince. Got outsourced to Perot Systems and the experience was not bad."

Former Employee - Database Senior Specialist in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Database Senior Specialist in Woonsocket, RI

Pros

Perot systems was a good place to work. The history of the company and the rate at which Ross Perot grew the company was impressive. I was outsourced to Perot and the experience working for Perot was not bad at all.

Cons

There was no room for growth in the technical line. After being in perot for 5.5 years, did not get an opportunity to grow at all.

Advice to Management

create enough heirarchy in the technical groups so that people can aspire for growth.