Deloitte - My experience at Deloitte has been life changing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

"My experience at Deloitte has been life changing"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant ERS in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Consultant ERS in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy traveling, you can see the world. With all the points and miles you rack up traveling for work, will never have to pay for a vacation again.

Cons

Like all jobs you must deal with the politics. All I can say is network, network, network.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. We all know when you are feeding us lies.

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

"Great place to work, IF you're in the right place, at the right time and in the right career track."

Current Employee - Associate 6 in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate 6 in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deloitte offers 3 different career tracks, which is great because this allows you some control of your career and work/life balance. There are pros and cons to each career track, but Deloitte does care about meeting the needs of their employees. I am in the Associate career track. I don't get as big of a bonus as those in the PPD or Specialist tracks, but I have the best work/life balance. I don't get hounded with emails at the end of the day nor do I have to do all the other "extras" that can take you into the late evenings, leaving me time to spend with my family, which is most important.

Deloitte has extremely generous PTO and maternity leave. No other consulting firm has been able to match theirs in this area. I do have a high utilization target, but I could take 5 weeks off and still meet my utilization.

People here are smart, friendly and caring - that's my personal experience. Deloitte really helps those who help themselves.

Cons

Proposal work! Proposal work! I don't have to do many, but the ones I have to work on can be very time consuming.

Utilization! Utilization! Although we do get a generous PTO, there hasn't ever been a time when I wasn't making up hours when I got back to work. Sure I can take 5 weeks off, but I am judged primarily on utilization and 90% is just meeting utilization. You need a high utilization if you want to achieve a higher performance rating, which translates to higher pay and bonus.

Promotion doesn't always seem fair. I've witnessed a number of promotions that just didn't make sense. It's like a cheap car salesman getting promoted. They talk a good game and embellish quite a bit on their achievements. You really have to market and sell yourself to move up the ladder. If you're lucky, you will work with a great manager who recognizes you for your hard work and reward you accordingly.

The up or out model for those on the PPD track. You can only stay at a certain level for so long. If you're not moving up, YOU ARE OUT! And if you're in the Associate track, if your project ends and you don't find something soon, you're OUT too. They don't let you sit on the bench as long as those on PPD and Specialst tracks.

Management structure is very different than other consulting firms. You really don't have a "manager" in the traditional sense. You have project managers.

Advice to Management

It would be great if taking PTO didn't hit our utilization. We should be accountable for hitting our total billable hours for the year.

2. "Great learning experience, but taxing"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deloitte pays very well - it is one of the top payers in the industry.

It provides an amazing learning experience. One gets to work in strategic projects at Fortune 100 organizations, and work closely with their leadership. They invest in training you, providing you with the right tools and learning to make you succeed.

And meeting with the VP of a leading organization and telling him/her how to do their business is its own unique experience.

Cons

Like any other consulting job, the job involves extensive travel. If your project is international, or across the country - you even lose weekends travelling for the job.

One needs to work constantly at making oneself visible to local office/management. Otherwise, with projects spanning across the country, it is easy to get lost in the system.

You are also expected to participate heavily in the local office activities. They are fun, but if you are already losing weekends to real work - planning a party or writing a newsletter can become very frustrating.