Deloitte - A great learning experience and excellent place to launch my career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

"A great learning experience and excellent place to launch my career."

Current Employee - Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge network, resonating market presence, strong brand.

Cons

Poor pay, relatively mediocre office morale, high turnover.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it's important to spend less money, time and effort on things that do not instinctively matter to your employees. Remember - the little things go a long way.

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

"Development for CWOPA"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly loose and polite environment. Average pay for the region. Office perks like often snacks and free coffee. External devices can use wifi.

Cons

Non challenging work load, weird hours policies ( likely the fault of my recruiter). EIther I am a salary employee, and when I am here is a matter for meetings as long as my workload shows completion, or I am hourly and then you can worry about every minute of my physical presence. Was here 2 weeks with no machine, and another 1 1/2 weeks with no code access. I was paid for the time, but I felt like I was wasting effort, when all I can do is study documentation until I get working components.

Advice to Management

Cleaner roles, jr tasks to jr developers ( not everyone knows everything). Make up your mind as whether you want Salary employees or Hourly contractors, and keep consistent about it.

"Only as good as your last project"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have ample learning and development opportunities, and you will work with interesting, smart people. You will gain useful experience in management consulting, which you can use in any profession.

Cons

You will have no life outside of Deloitte. Yes, on paper you have five weeks of vacation - but you will quickly learn of the dirty word, "utilization," which ensures that you never get to take a proper vacation. Not that you would have any time anyway - not only are projects poorly staffed, so that often you'll be working long hours, but you will need to add on an extra 10 or so hours of "firm activities" to your work week.

However, the worst aspect is the poor matching of consultants to projects, with little thought to whether the consultant can actually do the job. Oh, you're a senior consultant? Then you're supposed to "figure it out." Eventually, most consultants land on horrible projects, receive poor ratings, and are forever tainted. The leadership line that x consultant "received a poor performance rating and then turned it around" is a cruel joke and doesn't match reality. And, it's worse in Federal now that sequestration and shutdowns have hit. Forget taking risks or trying something new to get experience - just keep your head down and do your work.

The performance process also is a joke. It all depends on timing - if you had a poor project rating early on, then landed on a project where you did well, you'll be okay; if your final project rating is poor, then that's what leadership rates you on - and good luck trying to overcome that bad rating. You'll be gone before you know it. Also, the process is only as good as the managers on the project - if the managers are poor, and they blame you for your "poor performance" on your project evaluation, then you have no recourse for getting a fair evaluation. There is "best practice," which Deloitte leadership espouses to follow, and there is reality.

Finally, Deloitte changed its compensation structure last year to lean increasingly on variable pay, which means you are screwed if a.) you do poorly; b.) your department does poorly; or c.) the firm does poorly. You assume more of the risk, and if you go elsewhere, your base pay will be lower and you will have more trouble negotiating a higher salary. Thank you, Deloitte.

Advice to Management

Get serious about the poisonous culture that's developed in Federal. Look around - nobody smiles, nobody is happy, and the attrition rate should be your wake-up call. Deloitte is already becoming synonymous with "sweatshop."