Deloitte - I like it!(Not everyone does)..grass is always greener on the other side. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

"I like it!(Not everyone does)..grass is always greener on the other side."

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in McLean, VA
Current Employee - ERS Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Working here just opens the door to an endless list of companies. The name on the resume will get you at least an interview with the largest companies in the world. Staying here over the long haul would outweigh the lower compensation you would receive in the middle years. It's like college and work in one. Most of the people are very intelligent. There are so many different programs and trainings available..Working abroad programs, fellowships, etc.

Cons

Pay's not as great as industry..work can be intense at times with a lot of grueling hours.

Advice to Management

Overtime and bonus' should be considered to keep employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

"Neutral"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

“The best reason to work for Deloitte is to gain professional and technical experience. Having Deloitte (or any of the big four) on your resume will open up infinite possibilities for future career moves. Most people leave Deloitte before the manager/senior manager level to work for private companies in internal audit, corporate accounting, or financial reporting. Typically, they end up making way more than they would at Deloitte, but usually those great jobs require public accounting experience. Small firms can also provide that experience, but it's going to be way eaiser to move from a large firm to a smaller firm than vice versa. Plus, the big 4 are nationally (and internationally) recognized, whereas you might not get that with a regional firm. Deloitte (and all the big 4) also provide great technical resources, extensive training, and opportunities to work on large public companies or work abroad if that's what you're in to. The best reason to work at Deloitte is not the money. Yes, your raises will be higher than if you worked in private industry (my raises have ranged from 11-16% - not sure what's going to happen this year with the economic downturn), but you start low and bonuses are limited until (and only if) you reach upper management.

There are, of course, other great reasons to work at Deloitte. I typically really enjoy the people I work with. We are all well educated, smart, and motivated. The work is challenging and I'm rarely bored (but yes, I am sometimes bored).”

Cons

“Downsides of working with Deloitte are typical of the public accounting industry in general and of working for a large, buearucratic company. It is true that in public accounting, you either move up or out. Some people can't handle the hours, and if you let them, they will work you like a dog. Work/life balance is a really cute recruiting (external and internal) marketing tool Deloitte uses, but work/life balance only exists where you make it happen. And it feels like a total joke when you sit in meetings with the entire audit team of your office and have the lead audit partner tell you that we need to work my hours and we are all expected to work 300 to 500 overtime hours. Utilzation, overtime, and how many chargeable hours you book are really big metrics for partners and managers, and they expect certain results, but the ability for staff and seniors to control it is minimal. Also, there is a constant pull between keeping your charegable hours up but not exceeding budget. It's really frustrating. Flextime schedules do exist, but are hard to come by and not as flexible as you might think.

Advice to Management

“I would suggest that senior management take work/life balance seriously and reconsider the need for utilization and overtime as the key performance metrics. I think they are short-sighted and outdated. I however don't see that happening any time soon.”

"Deloitte Audit - Great Firm to Begin Career"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Atlanta, GA

Pros

As far as Audit, Deloitte is the best firm and you work with top talent. There is an entrepreneurial spirit; you can see results by working on your personal brand management, which will lead to praise in the future for your contrbutions.

Cons

Scheduling and client placement can be frustrating; As work is all on specifiic clients, it can be difficult to get to know your co-workers on a personal level. Work performance and assessment is based on perception - this could be positive if you learn how to develop and portray your perception.

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive and direct in speaking to non-management personnel to see their concerns and areas of improvement.