Deloitte - Federal AVA (Accounting, Valuation, and Analytics) is a practice of Audit Readiness, not Analytics. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

"Federal AVA (Accounting, Valuation, and Analytics) is a practice of Audit Readiness, not Analytics."

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-A lot of the consultants and senior consultants are very smart, nice people.
-For the type of work done, I felt that the pay was competitive.
-It's very easy to advance in this practice.

Cons

Another reviewer on glass door posted a review of AVA that I feel is very accurate. I'll rehash some of those points as well as add my own.

- You will mostly use tools that no one in data analysis has any business using. A prime example is a program called ACL. I have used many types of software, and ACL is by far the worst. The management is under the impression that this is a useful tool. It is not. It is not able to handle data even at the GB level, and has a syntax that a small child might come up with. I can somewhat understand that on certain projects, the government provides this tool and doesn't have the funding for SAS, but even then there are many great open-source tools that should be used instead. However, the usage of ACL doesn't stop there. Instead, it is used on projects that have access to SAS, in spite of the fact that ACL is always much slower (and more prone to error) than SAS. Additionally, programming time is much longer on ACL, due to the poor design and clumsiness of ACL's syntax.
- SAS is very underutilized in a practice that is built on summarizing and joining tables. PROC SQL is not allowed, and neither are WHERE statements. Both would speed up the reconciliation process greatly with no detriment.
- Placement of consultants on projects is done extremely poorly. I cannot count the number of instances that a person who would be a good fit for an opening on a project is passed over for someone who would be a poor fit. This causes both the project manager and the consultants to be unhappy.

Advice to Management

- Don't lie to people about the type of work that they will be doing during interviews. I think this is the number one reason for the high turnover in Federal AVA.
- Ensure that your managers treat the consultants with trust and respect.
- Don't use stupid tools for simple tasks. ACL is not a data tool, and no one in AVA should be using it. There are plenty of great (free and open-source) alternatives that are much, much better.

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

1. "Although a lot of peers say it is too aggressive, I really like the people here. A nice and very professional company."

Pros

professional, large company, more opportunities

Cons

someone may not glad about the atmosphere

2. "Caring and open enviornment"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Deloitte provides a flexible and enriching work experience that is both challenging and good for personal development.

Cons

The busy season entails long working hours and greater stress that need to be handled carefully in order to get accustomed to.