Deloitte - High value early in career, low value later in career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

"High value early in career, low value later in career"

Former Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great benefits plan. Over 3 weeks off a year, once you work there for long enough. Generous health and 401(K) benefits. Very serious about outreach to women and minorities. They are doing their best to incorporate work/life balance, though they haven't done that entirely effectively yet.

Cons

As a Strategy consultant, it's just not seen as top-tier (BCG, Bain, McKinsey are still very much seen as the top 3). While this isn't necessarily something that prevents Deloitte "alums" from doing anything, you get the strong sense that the alumni network, post-consulting job opportunities, and entrees into business school and management on the "industry" side are just not as good as those other firms.

However, I think it's a great place to START a career. Joining as an analyst was great for me, and has propelled me to later career success. However, if I were to re-join the firm after my MBA, I would see it severly undermining my career opportunities going forward. Perhaps that's why all my colleagues at my Ivy League business school in New England talk about going to the big three - but pretty much no one wants to go to Deloitte. Which I think is the correct, and rational, judgment. So if you join, join early and then move on. The later you join in your career, the more limited your opportunity set and the value of going to the firm in the first place.

As a side note, that's why I believe that the talent at the analyst level is comprable to, if not better than, the big 3. However, the higher you move in the firm, the more it pales in comparison to our competitors.

Advice to Management

The strategy practice will never be top 3, no matter what you do. But they need to re-position their strategy consulting brand to be more explicitly about strategy. Only then will they have a chance to attract the best and the brightest at higher levels of the firm.

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

1. "Best of the Big 4 accounting firms with the usual caveats"

Current Employee - Tax Senior in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in San Jose, CA

Pros

The people are the most friendly and collaborative group I believe out of the Big 4 accounting firms. The firm has some of the most technical partners and who are willing to teach and push-down the knowledge and work. The company has some great perks such as fitness subsidy and career coaching.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance like any other Big 4. Sometime not enough recognition to employees and showing appreciation through monetary and nonmonetary means. Compensation seems to be on the lower end compared to the other firms.

Advice to Management

Don't make empty promises, especially when trying to retain people when they are planning to leave. Office morale is being affected by the top level changes and should be addressed before it is too late

2. "great, solid place to start your career"

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Deloitte will provide you with key, solid core consulting skills through its solid training programs and on-the job training / apprenticeship model. The people at Deloitte are collegial, smart, and team-based. You develop and nurture a strong network of business folks who are successful, whether at Deloitte or whether they have moved on to other areas. Definitely a great place to start and grow a career.

Cons

Deloitte is a HUGE firm - it is a full-service global firm, which means it provides audit, tax, and consulting services. You can then imagine how bureaucratic the firm can get, with lots of management layers within and between organizations, geographies, industries, etc.

Advice to Management

increase transparancy