Deloitte - A challenging and rewarding place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

"A challenging and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people. Deloitte is focused on hiring the best and brightest, and it shows; the people are amazing. It is a very intelligent group of people that are committed to doing excellent work for their clients. It can be challenging working with such smart people, but it is very rewarding. It is also a young population of employees. Deloitte does a lot of hiring directly out of college, so there is a constant group of young professionals joingin the firm. Deloitte also promotes quickly from within -- the average age of new partners is around 37. This young average age creates an enthusiastic atmosphere. I really appreciate my coworkers and have many life long friends from my current and former Deloitte coworkers.

Cons

The biggest problem about working for Deloitte is the work / life balance. Deloitte has made a lot of headway in this area, but it is a consulting firm after all. This isn't a 9-5 place to work. Many of the people who leave Deloitte do so because they want a job that has regular hours and allows more time for family or other pursuits. Working for Deloitte means often having to work late nights or weekends to get the job done. It is all about being focused on the client and being available when they need you. However, if you have a passion for the work, this isn't that bad of a thing. Deloitte is very flexible with when and how you work. I get plenty of time to play golf (I just have to have my cell phone on in case a client or coworker needs to get a hold of me).

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on diversity. Keep up the focus on work/life balance. Keep up the great work!

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

1. "Life in public accounting"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

career growth and work experience

Cons

long hours and strict client deadlines

Advice to Management

more work/life balance

2. "The best place to start your career... may not be the best place to end it."

Current Employee - Tax Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Respect and recognition that people are the most important part of the business. Commitment of the company towards the development of the people.

Cons

Inconsistency of the promotions and salary policy between functional groups AND within functional group. Designation of "Favorites" and arbitrary nature of partner promotions. A nebulous category exists "partner" material that is undefined. People with similar metrics would have different treatment. This exists even at certain lower levels. Even though I love working here I know first hand of several people for whom this was a reason for departure.

Advice to Management

Get some consistency in the promotions and salary policy at least within the functional group. The focus is around the best place for someone to start a career, its time to develop a "lifer" mentality