Delta Dental Plans Association - Average pay, 8-5 job, in SF financial district | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Delta Dental Plans Association

"Average pay, 8-5 job, in SF financial district"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Delta Dental Plans Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The 1st street building is nice, spacious office rooms, decent eating areas. if you want to work in SF, this is a good place.

Cons

Culture is traditional 8-5 and flexible time off is unheard of. Benefits are traditional as well where they have sick days, which are separate from vacations. These are not paid out when you leave the company. Small company, not alot of room for growth.

Advice to Management

It's a new year and you should allow flexible time. Make employees happy.

Other Employee Reviews for Delta Dental Plans Association

"very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Software Designer in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Software Designer in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Delta Dental Plans Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

everyone is very helpful and willing to work with you on issues that may come up. Technology is very new which is a great development environment.

Cons

Fairly fast paced, which can be hard coming in.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing

"Not a place for movers and shakers but good if you want a reliable and comfortable (albeit repetitive) job."

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delta Dental Plans Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's centrally located in SOMA at 1st and Mission with easy access to public transportation.

Pay is above average for the area and industry.

The benefits are very good, however in the last two years they've enforced a biometric exam (a bit invasive, requiring blood work, saliva samples, etc..) to determine how much of the insurance they pick up, even requiring your dependents to take the exam. It's promoted under an employee well-being program, which is a positive corporate message, but really it's just to save them money.

The cafeteria offers free tea and coffee, with entrees and snacks sold slightly above cost. They maintain a small gym on site with treadmills, free weights and some machines.

The people are friendly (mostly) and easy-going.

Cons

They are technological laggards. You would think being located in San Francisco they would embrace a Silicon Valley-like drive for innovation, but they don't (at least as far as systems and software are concerned). For example, to create a certain report I have to send a request to Sacramento, they run a job and print out 20 pieces of paper that they put in an envelope and mail to San Francisco; I receive the report, sift through it to find one piece of paper and type a dozen numbers into an excel file.

It is not a culture of meritocracy but rather seniority (some may see this as a Pro). Moreso, they seem more apt to hire from the outside than from within. These two things narrow the potential routes available to move upwards through the organization (there are exceptions to this rule).

This may have just been in my department, but on several occasions peers and supervisors have copied and pasted from my email, cut me out of the loop, and sent my response verbatim as their own. I would find out later when I was brought back into the loop for some reason. This is indicative of the beuracratic, segmented heirarchy of the organziation that people feel, not only obligated, but entitled to control your communications, even for internal correspondence.

Advice to Management

Diffuse the segmentation of roles and responsibilities; it's too much like a fiefdom and creates a culture where titles are coveted and people rest on their laurels. With a heirarchy that is less segmented you will allow those people that want to strive and innovate to do so.

Remove beuracratic processes when it comes to providing feedback to, and receiving feedback from, your employees; it needs to happen fast, and everybody needs to feel like they're part of the conversation.

Build morale. Bringing a karaoke machine on-site and giving people a slice of pizza for employee appreciation day seems cheap; the top prize in the raffle this year was a $50 gift card to Walgreens... It's even worse that I work in finance and am aware of the type of margin the company is making.