Demand Media - Thrilling in the early years but the magic is gone | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

"Thrilling in the early years but the magic is gone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location; very smart people from the original crew; not a lot of tech co's in Santa Monica to choose from; still potential for big things

Cons

product and direction of the company are in flux and concern that the best years of the company are behind them; constant attrition of top talent

Advice to Management

Clear strategic direction and committing to what you state publicly and privately

Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media

1. "This was a formative experience for me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High project variety
    Diverse business with new things to learn all the time

Cons

The IPO went flat, along with the rest of 2011

Advice to Management

Acquire. You are good at it.

"Notorious and despised for many reasons"

Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office near beach, 3rd Street Promenade, free snacks, laid back to an extreme

Cons

Laid back to the point where people on the content team such as editors and content managers are instant messaging for half the day with friends and giggling. There's no shame. Many have no formal training or eduation in journalism. No wonder the company has such a horrible reputation. Wired, LA Weekly, and Business Insider have all written about the shoddy work of this content farm. If you're an editor, manager or writer working for the content team, working for Demand Media is only going to harm your resume. Real journalists look down upon such unprofessional work. They don't fact-check or verify anything. I was also verbally and sexually harassed, and management failed to address any of my complaints. That is simply wrong, callous, and shameful. I resigned because of the lack of morals and values here. Pay is also ridiculously low. You'll earn more at almost any other desk job. I am confident that this was the worst job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Hire content managers with professional journalism experience, people who have actually studied journalism at reputable universities or publications, or else your reputation is only going to get worse. Treat employees with some ounce of respect. It is so incredibly disrespectful and cold to ignore the concerns of your employees, especially when they involve sexual and verbal harassment. Keep things professional. Make it known that a professional environment requires professionalism. No ogling, crass behavior, remarks about female bodies, breasts, prostitution, and yelling. Demand some decency.