Demand Media - Demand Media: Great Company, Great Pay, Great Opportunity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

"Demand Media: Great Company, Great Pay, Great Opportunity"

Current Contractor - Freelance
Current Contractor - Freelance

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work 24/7, pick your titles so you write what you are interested in and what you know You can work anytime day or night, save data and finish assignment later. You have one week to finish each assignment. You can go months without writing and not get dropped, as long as you produce quality articles. They pay twice a week for finished material that has been approved.

Cons

If you do not have much education you may have difficulty getting enough assignments to write. You have to be approved to write about topics. It took months to get approved for parenting because so many freelancers were eligible, but it only took less than an hour to get approved for accounting topics.

Advice to Management

Please start offering more revenue share articles...

Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media

""Demanding" Media"

Former Employee - Contributing Author
    Former Employee - Contributing Author

I worked at Demand Media part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work remotely, on your own schedule, and when I started contributing authors had a lot of control over which writing assignments they wanted to work on. It was a good way for me to get a few articles published while being in school and build a bit of a portfolio.

Cons

The whole business model changed and although they never "fired" anyone, writers like me with no credentials in other fields like finance or whatever pretty much got pushed out. The company was very dodgy when writers questioned this on the forums, and made it seem as if everyone would "find a place" in the new specialty system. Guess what--it didn't work that way. I would have preferred a clear email that said "Your services are no longer needed" than being strung along and told to apply for various positions and specializations that I was always turned down for.

The new system is actually much better at avoiding duplication of articles and providing better content; I don't have a problem with the product they are putting out there, just the way I and many other writers were treated during and after the transition.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your writers. If you're going from generating 300+ titles a day to 30, obviously there won't be enough work to go around any more. Keep people informed and don't dodge questions on the writer forums.

2. "Good while it lasted..."

Current Employee - Writer/Title Selector
    Current Employee - Writer/Title Selector

Pros

Demand Media seemed too good to be true when I started in January 2010. I made almost $30.00 an hour writing research-based how-to articles. There was a large pool to choose from and work was accepted when written according to voice guidelines and quality of research.

Cons

Work began diminishing and is now almost completely gone without much explanation from the company. No benefits unless you live in certain states, etc. I still have title selecting work occasionally, but writing is pretty much non-existent now unless you know how to build a space ship in 500 words or less.

Advice to Management

Transparency....don't leave us hanging. We were led on to believe things would improve when we could have been looking for other work since the beginning.