Demand Media - A great experience! | Glassdoor

"A great experience!"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA
Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Wonderful people
+ Great learning experience
+ Good workflow system
+ A lot of snacks and a loaded fridge

I learned more during my internship at Demand than my current 2 years in university. My mentor was very patient, friendly, and informative, and my coworkers made it a pleasure to come into work everyday. If my schedule permitted, I would have resumed my internship.

Cons

- Sometimes I didn't have a clear goal or task

Advice to Management

Motivate your employees with a clear goal or vision

Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media

1. "Demand Media was a great part-time job. The assignments were a little obscure."

Former Contractor - Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, kind editors, writing, email.

Cons

Editors, subject matters, writing topics.

Advice to Management

Bring forth assignments that are real subjects, not based on an algorithm.

"Rearranging The Deck Chairs On The Titanic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked fridge, drinks, free lunch Fridays, flexible schedules, overall friendly atmosphere.

Cons

The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees. If you're part of a recent acquisition, get ready for the company to get bored of you within twelve months, and then shut you down without warning.

The simple fact is the executive staff drinks their own kool-aid, and won't listen to feedback from the people on the ground. Get ready for the quarterly company "all-hands" meetings where they'll unveil the most recent pivot - It happens every quarter without fail. The ever changing priorities within the company makes it increasingly difficult to close new business, and maintain existing business. You, and your clients simply won't be able to keep up.

Career development is a moot-point here. After several meetings with VPs, and EVPs about career development, you'll become frustrated at the lack of anyone willing to give you a road map on how to get a raise, get promoted, get better accounts, etc.

The company promotes a lot of internal events that claim to promote "team building" such as days in the park playing games with your co-workers, Hackathons, National Sales Conferences, but, all it really does is disrupt your week.

Advice to Management

Stop changing and pivoting every quarter and give the initiatives and acquisitions a chance to blossom. When you acquire a company, don't go changing the business model - you bought the company because you liked the way they operate. Let them operate.