Department for Work And Pensions - Why did I go to uni? but at least I've got a pay cheque. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Department for Work And Pensions

"Why did I go to uni? but at least I've got a pay cheque."

Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

Pros

pay cheque and flexi -time, managers are not rude to you, difficult to get rid of you if you're in the PCS union (cost £8.41 per month). The pay is not bad by Wolverhampton standards.

Cons

boring, repetitative work on ancient pre-Windows software. The simplist tasks are intricate and time consuming, requireing the use of three databases . A stagnate aging workforce,some there since the 60s. A woman got a medal for being in the same job, in the same place, for...25 years!! They are incredibly petty to a molecular degree and complain about things no one in the private sector would have time for. The main topic of conversation is the eating habits of their children. A colleagues's child and husband both like wild rice with fishfingers and tomarto ketchup.

It's depressing working for a welfare system that has failed.

Advice to Management

please stop saying:"Everything will be all right when Universal Credit comes in"...in 2013. More vertical and horizontal promotion opportunities. What is the purpose of our welfare system?

Other Employee Reviews for Department for Work And Pensions

"The higher grade management lack skills of private sector management"

Current Employee - Executive Officer
    Current Employee - Executive Officer

Pros

excellent benefits and can get away with doing very little for alot of salary

Cons

If you are a hard worker wanting rewards and promotion it is a poor employer

Advice to Management

They need to look at outside private sector management and get tough with staff who do not pull their weight (50%)

"Ok, unless there's a problem and then you are on your own"

Former Employee - Executive Officer
    Former Employee - Executive Officer

Pros

Flexi time and decent holidays, reasonable pay

Cons

Line managers are unable to deal with problems, bullying gets swept under the carpet, lazy workers are never confronted over their lack of work meaning everyone else has to take up their slack, ridiculous policies regarding how to set out your desk - sorry but I will put my stapler and phone where I want it not where some idiot civil servant tells me its most productive.

Advice to Management

Stop being so 'PC' about everything - if someone is being bullied do not pander to the bully so you dont hurt their feelings.