Derse - Derse has recent management churn | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Derse

"Derse has recent management churn"

I worked at Derse part-time

Pros

Conservative company. Works well with union.

Cons

Company has let go 3 different Production Supervisors at 1 division in the last 6 months.

Advice to Management

fix the problem.

Other Employee Reviews for Derse

"Best in Industry, but still a sweatshop"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Derse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Respected in Industry. Pay is acceptable.

Cons

terrible lack of support for the individual worker. Negative Office-Politics throughout company. Culture of Blame and CYA.

Advice to Management

Quit looking for people to blame and ways to CYA. All employees will work better when they can feel they are allowed to do the best they can without having to look over their shoulder all the time. Never seen a company so rife with finger pointers from the bottom to the top.

"Most rewarding career to date!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Derse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Derse are among the best reasons to work here, and the tenure in the Dallas office speaks directly to this point with over 33 people employed for 10+ years, 6 of which have been here since the Dallas office opened in 1996. This industry – unlike any other I’ve worked for – consists of a truly dynamic life-cycle model where the work of each individual touches that of another, all the way through the job until billing is complete, so the employees at Derse tend to go above and beyond to ensure each project is seen to completion to the best of our ability, every time.

The quality of our work at Derse never ceases to impress me. I marvel at the creativity and ingenuity of our designers, and am fascinated when I see the work being produced out in the shop to see how it all comes together.

The Derse community as a whole is one I take great pride to consider myself a part of. Every division of Derse is involved in giving back to their local communities in one way or another, and any time someone within the immediate Derse family is struggling everyone truly rallies around to offer both emotional and financial support as they’re able.

Cons

Like any mutli-divisional company with a primary corporate office I feel communication could be disseminated better out to the field offices. Annual all-hands meetings driven by the corporate office are good, but we should continue to elaborate our company goals to employees throughout the year, calling out divisional successes to give appropriate recognition where it’s due, and addressing missed opportunities so we can learn from the experience to rise above and put out a better product next time.

While the workload can be aggressive at times and it sometimes feels like we’re all working at capacity, I don’t think there could ever be too much cross-training. When we do have an individual out of the office there should always be someone who can support them up in their absence to make it as seamless to the client as possible. I believe employees would gain valuable insight & appreciation for the necessity and complexity of each individual’s job if they had the opportunity to cross-train throughout the division to see how their work affects others, and vice versa.

Advice to Management

Communicate successes more frequently. Praising work done well instills pride, and pride encourages a level of expertise to be sought after going forward. When pride is at the foundation of our work, everyone wins.

Distribute show site pictures of booths created so that the “paper pushers” of the business can see our hard work in action. Very few people actually travel to show sites, and unless a booth is constructed fully on-site then the people working behind the scenes never really get to see the finished product. Seeing our high-quality work in action brings us back to the personal pride we each feel knowing we all had a hand at some level in making it happen.

Identify and reduce, if not eliminate, toxic staff. When a member of the team is dissatisfied and actively creates a hostile work environment, it’s critical to identify the problem, work toward a reconciliation with the individual(s) responsible if able, and, when necessary, replace them with more apt employees who not only appreciate their office and co-workers, but take pride in the results of their work and the company as a whole. Every company experiences some level of strife and dissention, but when it escalates to the point of antagonism and insubordination it has the potential to affect everyone in their wake and this should be reduced as much as possible.

Communicate our annual objectives by division on a more frequent bases in order to help everyone understand how their role is vital to our success as a company. Maybe it shouldn’t be necessary, but reiterating the importance of each individual in their role ensures a sense of belonging, and everyone, at every level, wants to know that they’re needed and valued.

Derse Response

Apr 21, 2016

First, thank you for such a detailed review. It’s clear you are passionate about your work and fostering a tight-knit, supportive environment for all employees. You play an important role in making... More