Devcon International - Look elsewhere. No money here. Deplorable! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Devcon International

"Look elsewhere. No money here. Deplorable!"

Current Employee - Area Sales Representative
Current Employee - Area Sales Representative

Pros

Phone, tablet and small gas allowance. The technicians I've seen or been around were very knowledgeable and professional.

Cons

Oh so many.
1. Commission on paper looks good but in reality the sales are few.
2. Poor company leads
3. Phone tools to track your phone calls must make 50 or so a day. BLAH! You get into outside sales for the freedom. They use this tracking tool to just keep track of you. No way. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they tracked your cell phone or tablet by GPS.
4. Self generated lead each week or no pay check at the end of the week. Commission only!!! That really sucks! No base salary means you get someone desperate for a job and they are definitely still looking fast for something else.
5. The management staff is deplorable. A general manger can't override anything or even his boss. If a credit score came back as 599. A year up front no exceptions.
6. Very stringent on credit checks. Must collect a year up front on anyone below 600 FICO score.
7. All phone calls go through a call center and the reps try to sell it over the phone and you're left with what they can't get. Not much of a lead left at that point.
8. Territory eats up your gas allowance. Our area is 120 miles in each direction. WAY TO BIG!
9. I've spent as much as 8 hours in a day driving, to much windshield time. Can't sell driving your car, much less with gas as high as it is, FORGET IT!

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand. Take care of your customers better than you are. It takes many years to build a great reputation and only once to ruin it. You are ruining that stellar reputation. I was a customer of this company before I worked for them. Canceling my service. Going online where I can get it monitored for a fraction of what they are currently charging me for monitoring.

Other Employee Reviews for Devcon International

"They claim average sales rep makes 50K. No way!"

Former Employee - Security Account Representative (SAR)
    Former Employee - Security Account Representative (SAR)

Pros

cell phone, ITablet, gas allowance

Cons

Company changed comp plan to straight commission. No longer a base salary. You work 40+ hours a week w/o a sale, you don't get paid.

Advice to Management

You don't pay your sales reps, how do you expect to keep them.

"Worst experience I have ever had in 36 years of working"

Former Employee - Sales in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Tacoma, WA

Pros

I-pad and phone would be the only consolation.

Cons

In all my years of working I have never been treated with such dis-respect as I was working at Devcon International (Devcon Security Services). I stayed for two months. The company has no respect for employees or their customers. On their contract they had you cross off the three year agreement and write one year. They also advertised 20% off of your current service. I had a contract signed and they changed their mind on the 20% off to have a minimum company wide so I had to go back to the customer and explain their monthly rate would be more on the day the installation was to be done. Needless to say, they refused to accept the new rate and the company refused the contract after management accepted it. I expect that as the company goes nationwide they will have a lot of lawsuits until they make up their mind on what their offers should be. They seem to be a new company made up of former Brinks Security management and there is probably a reason Brinks is no longer around. I am waiting for them to decide that they will not honor their promise of not raising rates for the three years they promise and only 1 year on the written in promise. I know they are a company I would never do business or suggest to anyone to do business with. There are too many other options such as ADT, and Protection One, than to settle for a company that has deceptive business practices such as theirs. Maybe I just had a poor manager, but from what I saw, I really believe that the whole company is not reliable. I left on my own and in 36 years it was the first job I have ever walked off of without giving them notice. I think it surprised them I could not morally stay.

Advice to Management

The company needs to make some final decisions as to what their policies are going to be as they expand to nationwide. The idea of changing policies overnight without honoring contracts already signed will only lead to problems for them. I decided I would not put my name on something that the company I represented will not stand behind. I have worked too hard for the respect of businesses and clients to ruin it with a company like Devcon.