Development Finance International - Committed, hard working and driven staff and management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Development Finance International

"Committed, hard working and driven staff and management"

Pros

- small committed and driven team
- clear agenda
- unique expertise
- flat management structure

Cons

- flat management structure
- ad hoc assignments
- high expectations

Other Employee Reviews for Development Finance International

"DFI exceeds my expectations; after nearly 8 years I still love it!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Development Finance International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at DFI for almost 8 years, and as a result am very familiar with the organization and its evolution. Reflecting upon my years working here, the most notable pros are:

Upward mobility and new opportunities: I was hired as a Research Associate focused exclusively on Latin America. I am now a Senior Manager with pretty much global coverage and leading DFI’s work in multiple sectors. Through hard work, dedication, developing new skills, deepening my learning and knowledge about business in emerging markets and the International Financing Institutions, many doors have opened affording me new and exciting opportunities at DFI. This naturally require time and great deal of effort, but the opportunities which DFI has offered me far exceed my expectations when I began at the company. This is one of the main factors which keeps me excited to work for DFI.

Colleagues: While there is a range of work styles and personalities at DFI, I trust the judgement and integrity of my colleagues. Working with people who I am confident will make the right decision and do the right thing for the company and our clients is critical for me. Furthermore, DFI is full of very intelligent people who are creative and passionate about their work. At any job you want to surround yourself with people like this as it creates an environment where you can grow professionally, develop new skills and acquire new perspectives.

Exciting and challenging work: The work at DFI is dynamic, fast paced and can be at time demanding. This, in my opinion, is one of the difference makers of the company, and is something that I love. The focus of our work - business in emerging markets - is something that I am passionate about and find very exciting. Emerging markets are quickly evolving and producing new opportunities for companies like DFI and our clients. It is also gratifying to know that our work creates a positive impact in the lives of people in emerging markets. In addition, working with a range of Fortune 500 clients and having a view into how these companies lead in their respective sectors is very exciting for me.

Access to the world: This is the icing on the cake. As I mentioned above, having been hired to conduct research on Latin America, it was hard to imagine that I would end up traveling to and leading projects in many, many, many countries across Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and Latin America. Traveling with your clients to these places where we are conducting business has been very rewarding and among the highlights of my tenure at DFI.

Cons

Like every company, there are areas of improvement at DFI. The most notable cons about working at DFI include:

Team unity: While I have this listed as a con, this is an area where DFI has improved vastly over the years. With new and younger colleagues coming on board, there is an increased sense of team and unity in the organization. Colleagues now get together outside of work to socialize and do different activities which is great. This sort of team rapport was not as strong when I first came to DFI many years back, and I hope that the team unity that I am seeing at DFI continues.

Professional development: DFI supports its employees with professional develop around communication / public speaking, a few colleagues have taken some courses in person and online, and DFI continuously encourages its employees to attend external events and seminars, however, younger colleagues could benefit from more systematic professional development options. I realize that there is a cost associated with this, but this would be a good way to motivate employees and help accelerate their skill development. It will also help DFI expand its capabilities and service offerings.

"DO NOT DISREGARD GLASSDOOR REVIEWS. I did."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Development Finance International full-time

Pros

- You get exposure to specialists at international banks (think World Bank, IDB, etc.) but there is a fine line between meeting them and stalking them.
    - If you’re lucky, you get a really nice team of coworkers... that is, before they all start leaving.
    - You get to travel with some accounts after working there for a while. Some after a year, others after more. Others never do so.

Cons

- PERSONAL WELL-BEING: If you’re looking for a workplace where you feel safe: this is not it. Higher management is extremely condescending and will criticize every attempt on behalf of employees to improve the accounts.
    - OPINIONS: If you’re looking for your opinion to be valued: this is not the place to be. Again, higher management will never listen to the employees’ feedback.
    - DEVELOPMENT (?): If you want to wake up every morning feeling great about what you’re doing: you should not work here. Even though the company is interested in the “SDGs” and other development affairs, it’s only the lingo they use. When it comes down to it, they only care about profits and constantly push (the wrong way) their employees to come up with new ideas (which they end up trashing) on how to increase numbers.
    - COMMUNICATION: If you want a workplace with good communication: don’t even bother. Although there are people supposed to mediate between higher management and the rest of the employees, they don’t really act upon it and you basically have to suck it up. Also, HR department is basically nonexistent.
    - EGOS: the egos of higher management are uncontrollable and blind them from treating their employees well. Yes, they buy ice cream every now and then, but that does not solve the underlying issue of employee mistreatment and lack of good quality communication.

* Side effects: After a while working here, you might start waking up with nauseas, wondering why are you still there and putting up with the perversion of higher management. This is not mortal. As long as you’re determined, you will find something else.

Advice to Management

Leave. High employee turnover is ONLY your fault. As long as you’re there, employees will continue to quit.