Dex Media - Outside Media Consultant | Glassdoor

"Outside Media Consultant"

Current Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Warwick, RI
Current Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good income and great benefits-- that's about it.

Cons

Horribly mismanaged company. Advertising products are either becoming obsolete or they seriously underperform.

Advice to Management

Treat your reps better. If a company loses 10 to 20 percent in revenue every year then the problem might be management or they're offered products and services. Its not the Reps' ability to sell that's in question but more the performance of the products and competitive marketplace. Management is stuck in the old phonebook days when they were the top dogs. Time for a reality check.

Other Employee Reviews for Dex Media

"Worst experience for a career"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Virginia (South Africa)

I worked at Dex Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Benefits, and the pay is great! You get to work from home--which is nice in some Ways. You get flexibility.

Cons

Management is the make or break. I had people in my training class that didn't mind their manager and the manager was good to them. A majority of us in all different states ranging from Florida, Virginia to Missouri and New York had terrible experiences with negative micromanaging bosses who don't understand the first thing about selling in this day and age. My manager went on calls with me and couldn't close anything!! She was terrible and always talked down to everyone. I was treated so terrible, I cried all the time! This company is going downhill....it is not a good company to wrk for. I will never recommend someone to work here. You were also expected to work through the night!!! My manager would ask me to do things at 9pm.

Advice to Management

I wish you knew how to sell in today's world, not 20 years ago. It's not the same.

Dex Media Response

Aug 14, 2017 – Employee

We hate to hear of the negative experiences outlined surrounding your employment, and wish we had the opportunity to speak with you during your employment to discuss these concerns. Your feedback is... More

"You'll Be Looking For Other Jobs After A Year Or Less"

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Virginia (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Virginia (South Africa)

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great First Year Pay...I've Average About 70k/Year For The First Two Years
    -Great Benefits
    -Monthly Cell Phone Bill Reimbursed, iPad With Data Plan, Mileage Reimbursement & Car Allowance

Cons

This company is the Blockbuster Video of advertising companies. It's going to be all but gone within the next 5 years. They just laid off and/or demoted 1,000 between late December 2014 & early January 2015 and they saved around $180 million dollars. They had multiple reduction in force periods. The problem is that they owe a $2 billion dollar loan payment to their Wall Street investors at the end of 2016. They already know they won't be able to come anywhere near that payment, so they're trying to refinance to avoid being seized and liquidated by their investors/creditors. Their primary revenue driver is the phone book which is dying by the month, but they still want us to push these directories. Most people who still advertise in the phone book don't break even let alone see a return on investment. I feel horrible at times renewing phone book ads because I know that the advertisers aren't making money from the ads at all. To make up for declining print revenue, management wants us to sell self-serving, data biased, digital programs that often get cancelled due to lack of return on investment. You'll make money off of selling these digital programs for a while, but eventually time will catch up to you when the programs don't get fulfilled properly or don't make a difference in the advertiser's revenue. There are plenty of reps who make $90-$100,000 per year, but they do this by selling loads of digital. However, they work in major metropolitan markets (not secondary markets because most busineses in secondary markets can't afford or don't need digital programs over $1,000/month), they obliterate the print directories which hurts the company from a profit standpoint (print has a 50-60% profit margin and digital barely has a 10-15% profit margin). There's a lot of people who sell thousands of dollars of SEO and SEM programs each month, but they're slowly killing their own company due to running from market to market robbing Peter to pay Paul. When the gravy train runs out, that's when people relocate to different divisions or quit. This is what the company wants us to do, but they get upset when we do it. If you wan't fast money, by all means apply. However, you have to keep your options open because they're not done laying people off.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees like people again, and stop treating them like mindless servants. The company's end is within site because of bad decisions made by corporate executives and regional management. Don't blame the employees for following bad precedents that you gave them no choice but to follow. Also continue to make strides in catching up to the marketplace, because you are still a few years behind. For example, the sales force could have went virtual 2-3 years ago. Corporate needs to stop paying themselves $1 million pre-set bonuses if they're going to demote and put single parents and majority income-providers out of work. Taking a CEO from another failed phone book company that's in worse shape than DexMedia doesn't solve the problem either....Especially when he had allegations & a lawsuit filed against him from his former company hibu.

Dex Media Response

Mar 13, 2015 – Employee

Hi- Thank you for the service you’ve provided to Dex Media. We understand your concerns and know that change is not easy. We look forward to a bright future as we move forward. -Ed