Diebold Nixdorf - Modern slavery...... | Glassdoor

"Modern slavery......"

Current Employee - First Line Tech in Dublin, CA
Current Employee - First Line Tech in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Diebold Nixdorf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only item I can state about a "pro" is like the mentality that this company carries amongs itself, "you have a job".

Cons

Terrible lower management, awful middle management, horrible upper management. And god forbid allowing me designate a lable on senior management. I have been here for 4 years and I have had to apply for social services assistance because $31.000 p/y is not enough to. raise 2 daughters ; After you pay rent or a morgatge, there is very little money left for any other expense. Someone or some employees might make a lot more than me and while their job might be a desk job, I'm risking my life every shift not only st banks that I work in but also on the highway driving. And I make the same amont of money as someone who works at fast food restaurant. And to add salt to wound, management wants first line techs to do repairs at a second level repair. They are getting away with legal slavery.

Advice to Management

Do not work here unles you like abuse and bad treatment.

Other Employee Reviews for Diebold Nixdorf

1. "I really enjoyed my position at Diebold I was really disappointed when laid off"

Former Employee - First Line Tech in Wenatchee, WA
    Former Employee - First Line Tech in Wenatchee, WA

I worked at Diebold Nixdorf part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diebold welcome you right in they treated you with care the benefits are good I feel Diebold is a strong reliable company

Cons

well getting laid off is one I think management could focus a little more with one on one employee time and not just take the word of a co worker

Advice to Management

get to knowy you employee on a one on one level

"Democratized Slavery"

Former Employee - Second Line Field Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Second Line Field Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Diebold Nixdorf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent parts suppy and return chain

Cons

I have been in the Field Service industry since 1985 and have worked repairing banking machines since 1991. The best way to sum up my almost 3 years with Wincor is to label my employment as democratized slavery; well paid slavery, with good benefits, but slavery nonetheless. This German based company is entirely statistic driven. This must translate, at the field service level, into ‘number’ manipulation in order to keep your job. The ‘good’ technicians, the ones who have been with Wincor the longest, have learned how to under-deliver their service in order to keep their ‘numbers’ looking good. So, if you are conscientious you will find yourself feeling frustrated every day for having to reconcile your conscience with what you will discover you will have to do to keep those statistics good enough to satisfy a faceless management that is just as ready to cull you out as they were to hire you.

Upper management makes decisions from expediency, usually in response to clients laying claim to the contractual fines Wincor must pay for poor service. This results in many, literally, stupid situations that waste time and generate indecisiveness and frustration as the dispatchers and technicians try to keep the promises management made while keeping their ‘numbers’ looking good enough to keep their jobs.

Driving is tracked by GPS and every phone call to the company is recorded for review. Your reported travel and work times are scrutinized for ‘errors’ in an on-going effort to extract, “100% efficiency” from each technician. The laptop and ‘Smart Phone’ programs they give you to run their diagnostic programs and debrief your work tickets are conflicting and unreliable, as is the added level of security that must be slogged through each day to accomplish any task. This generates additional frustrations for the many minutes that are lost each day because of these poorly integrated programs and the poorly conceived network that connects everything; minutes that count against you when your statistics are reviewed.

The scheduling of work times is unreliable and the work schedules themselves are grueling. There were many times when I worked 7-10 days in a row with shift changes in the middle that would only gave me 4 or 5 hours to sleep. Later, because this abuse cost them many longtime technicians in a short time span, they provided 2 consecutive days off, but those days rotate through the weeks so they can squeeze an extra day of work out of a seven day cycle. This is in addition to sudden schedule changes that turned scheduled days off I had made plans for into days I was expected to work. No recourse was available and complaints were ignored. Many times my request for PTO was denied a few days before the requested date, despite a constant stream of e-mail reminders, leaving me with unfulfilled promises and missed life-events.

Additionally, to be considered a ‘good’ employee you are expected to be ‘in travel’ one-half early each day, without pay and remove on-half hour each day in your travel time home. If you work through a lunch break no recourse isd given and you are expoected to record that half-hour off, regardless. Also, without the company actually declaring it as a requirement, ‘good’ technicians are expected to volunteer to work more than the mandatory overtime (they cal iit on-call) of a 10 hour day (12-14 hour days were the norm), come in on your days off and travel to other cities to cover for fired, quitting or vacationing technicians.

It was revealed once, during a weekly conference call, that upper management knew that most of their big-city technicians were 120% to 130% over-utilized (how could they not know, given the statistics they monitor). Managements’ response to this was not to hire more technicians, but to push the lower managers to make the ‘lazy’ technicians work faster.

Once, in an effort to boost the level of service they were providing because the service had gotten so poor that their clients were bitterly complaining about the ‘downtime’ of their ATM’s, they gave all of their technicians a document to sign saying that we would leave every ATM in a, “like new condition”. I began doing this and of course my ‘repair time’ statistic suffered, though all of my other ‘numbers’ remained good exactly because of the conscientious service I gave. As anticipated, when my review came, my numbers were not good enough and I was culled out, with severance pay, because they could not fire me for anything wrong I was doing despite my being, statistically, a ‘lazy’ technician.

If you are a conscienceless company man, a loner who likes very little interaction with co-workers, apart from the constant drama associated with frustration, are unmarried or in a bad marriage and you have no children to raise, no friends to do things with and no one to celebrate holidays with and want lots of money that you have no time or energy to spend, then Wincor has the job for you.

Advice to Management

You need to stop treating your Field Service technicians as liabilities that must be controlled and start treating them for what they are; assets to be encouraged. Start a dialogue with them. They will tell you what you need to know to make your company excellent, not what you want to hear. Also, learn how the statistics your technicians generate are lying to you because, for as long as you are statistic driven, you will not be able to recognize the truly good technicians who work hard for you, despite the constant policy-du-jor you subject them to and will continue to retain the unconscionable ones who have learned how to manipulate their service to make their numbers look good.