Digital Manga - KS backers, say good bye to your moneys | Glassdoor
Discover more reviews from Digital Manga.

"KS backers, say good bye to your moneys"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Digital Manga as an intern

Pros

Flexible work hours. Nice supervisors. They gave me a great recommendation letter for my current employer. They assigned me to this great popular awesome series. I only got to work on 2 volumes; wish I was able to do more but my internship hours ran out. My assignment was pretty well-known famous series. I can't believe they trust me with it and they were able to print my name in a book. I am forever grateful for this opportunity. They took a chance with me.

Cons

Oh, em gee... where do I begin. The owner is a real clown. The best way to describe this company is, a clown (the owner) is running the circus (the company.)

It's a shame, really. It is a legitimate, could-be a profitable organization, but the clown runs this joint with unrealistic goals and milestones. They have great licenses and titles. But the owner butchers it.

I was an unpaid intern but he put me on this thing called "milestones." He asked me to "help" - by "help" I mean, he forced me to handle sales and marketing. He told me that I had to raise $3,000 a month handling his online stores. $3000 was my "milestone" he said if I didn't meet the $3000, he won't give me a recommendation letter.

Buyers beware: He runs kickstarter campaigns to raise operation funds. Not to produce books and merch that they were promised during the campaign. Hey folks, if any of yall invested in to his campaigns, it is safe to assume that you will not be receiving your rewards anymore. The money is gone. The owner took them all. There's been a ton of angry comments on the ks pages. He asked me to handle responses. I left the internships shortly after that because I didn't want to get involved in that angry backers mess.

Advice to Management

The owner should resign. Stop abusing interns.

Other Employee Reviews for Digital Manga

1. "No work for over a year."

Former Freelancer - Interpreter/Translator
    Former Freelancer - Interpreter/Translator

I worked at Digital Manga (More than a year)

Pros

None. The previous person in charge of the freelance translators was fairly professional, but unfortunately he is no longer working there.

Cons

Horrible communication. I was told I would have an assignment within a few months in July of 2016. Currently it is December of 2017 and I have received zero assignments, despite being registered as a freelance translator by them. Since then, the person in charge of freelancers was changed to someone new. They are extremely unprofessional and do not respond to e-mails.

Advice to Management

Get staff who can actually do their job.

"This company need a new name.. DMK = Digital Manga Kickstarter"

Former Intern - Receiving in Gardena, CA
    Former Intern - Receiving in Gardena, CA

I worked at Digital Manga as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They have plenty of work, assignments and projects to do there. If you are into anime and manga, it's a good stepping stone place to be. I learned a lot during my unpaid internship. I got to read lots of manga for free. I'm giving a 2 star review, because I had fun interning there and I got to go to conventions for free.

Cons

This company runs Kickstarter campaigns all year around. Might as well call themselves DMK = Digital Manga Kickstarter. They do campaign after another, to no end. I asked the owner of the company, why that is. He said "because we are poor. and We need the money." I think the kickstarter is their main income to support their financial needs. I finally figured out that Digital Manga runs Kickstarter campaigns to pay their internal bills. Money doesn't go into the R&D or products and services that you actually pledge for. I figured this out because I was a backer for one of their campaign long before I interned. And I got to see it first hand how they handle backers money. It was funny to see that I was packaging my own box of merchandise that I pledged for. Another reviewer here said "sketchy Kickstarter campaigns" - it's not that they are being sketchy...... campaigns, licenses and products are legit. It's more like, they are mishandling or misusing the Kickstarter funds.

During my internship, I built shipping cartons & boxes, I stuffed these boxes with Kickstarter merchandise and books, I counted inventory, I typed labels, I printed shipping stickers and shipped boxes. All within the guidelines of "shipping and receiving" duties. -----BUT HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED----->> I sent my resume and applied as an production assistant, as stated in the hiring ad, but I was offered an unpaid internship position in shipping and receiving after the initial interview. After the initial interview, the owner of the company said "we are not hiring right now but I can offer you an unpaid internship position." I knew something didn't sound right, but I took the position anyway, because I really wanted to get my foot in the door. I got to watch so many office drama unveil and it's funny watching how this company is structured. I was unpaid employee so I didn't have to worry so much about things... but I truly feel bad for their regular paid employees there. They have things called "milestones."

Here is ONE very important piece of advise to all applicants: if you want to be successful at this company, make be sure that you are EN/JP bilingual fluent. The owner treats you better and he plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Dear Owner, Grow up and smell the reality. Sincerely, Unpaid Intern.