DigitalGlobe - Cool engineering but a sweatshop | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DigitalGlobe

"Cool engineering but a sweatshop"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with very smart, talented people and did some of the best programming of my career. I was able to use my math & engineering skills and learned a lot about the aerospace domain. Engineers were empowered to build good software, more so than at some other places I've worked. I made a lot of friends there and was sad to go. Needed a shorter commute and better work/life balance.

Cons

It was a sweatshop. I worked lots of hours and weekends. When I worked there they had an annual layoff. I survived 3 of them but it took a toll on morale.

Other Employee Reviews for DigitalGlobe

"Fantastic engineering team, but this organization is a sweat shop"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Complex engineering with many opportunities to grow as an engineer and a manager.

Cons

Unbearable workload. This organization expects employees to work nights and weekends for extended periods of time with no relief. When people leave, others are expected to take up their workload.

Advice to Management

Not everything is an emergency. Plan and prioritize so that the workload is manageable. Hire the correct number of people to do the job.

"what promise, only if it was all true"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-salary
    -benefits
    -coworkers
    -bagels
    -imagery is cool to look at

Cons

-Internal development is a mess. There is no sense of beginning and end to project lifespan. Management is no position to be proactive and the overall development process is at best adequate for handling of defects only. New development is a patched together and any architect that has come into the company has left. The management team is disconnected from the program management and the chaos and reliability of systems shows. Overall the internal issues with the systems are ignored and everything that is addressed is done so with a band-aid.
    -resources and talent is underused and unfortunately the story you are told on the way in is nothing like the reality of the situation. This is a classic bait and switch opportunity and it truly isn't fair to anyone entering the company.
    -real career stopper. No real chance to be promoted or opportunity to learn new technology. The few that do get the opportunity have done so through undesirable means. Overall a career stopper. Contractors are treated better than full time employees.
    -bonus program is not as promised. Forget about what you are told by HR, look to get any promise in writing.Otherwise come bonus time you will be very disappointed.

Advice to Management

-Quit the firefighting, understand that firefighting is a result of terrible management and processes.
    -Growing the company is only making things worse. The company is not scalable as is and any more growth at this time will break the only employees that matter.
    -Extremely disgruntled work force across the board. No survey is going to help this workforce, in-action in the past does nothing to build confidence that the leaders know what they are doing. Overall the leadership is viewed as disconnected and not concerned or able to solve the problems.
    -quit the bait and switch hire people to do a job and don't change it on them, if you hire them for a development position don't tell them they have to provide on-call support.
    -Hire true architects to solve problems don't just convert spaghetti programmers into architects. That doesn't solve the issues.
    -Lastly hold managers accountable for their failures. Look at your planning and implementation record. Things may in the end work but throwing all hands on deck to get something done is a terrible approach and also it just breeds additional issues.