Cover image for DigitalOcean

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Can't trust leadership and company values are a facade.

Jul 15, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The perks are great even compared to bay area startups, though salaries could be higher. Most of the people are great. Good work/life balance. The business seems to be doing well and we're getting better at building products every year.

Cons

Virtually zero trust in leadership and with good reason. No career growth beyond single team management (not a single Director was promoted from within even though we keep calling it a "culture of growth").

19 people found this review helpful

DigitalOcean Response

VP, People

I'm sorry our values are not reflected in your personal experience. With that, I want to use this opportunity to share my perspective on career growth at DO. I can tell you that we are deeply committed to being a deliberately developmental organization. It's something I personally believe in and I know it's a huge part of the reason the business has scaled and been as successful as you noted. But it's important to keep in mind that development and growth does not always necessarily mean the same thing as just being promoted. Development comes in many forms. We're a rapidly growing company and the scale and scope of things every employee is working on and is exposed to is exponentially bigger than it was even 12 months ago. We have products, teams and departments that didn't exist last year. We continue to invest in opportunities to learn inside and outside the company, and many employees have broadened their experience by moving into other roles across the company. Those all create the conditions for important and powerful learning and experience for growth. It is true that many of our senior leaders have come outside the company of late. That's a function of needing the experience at scale that we haven't had internally, and of an intentional desire to provide leadership and mentorship for our employees to learn from. I expect that will change as we mature and evolve, and I'm certainly committed to looking for opportunities to fill senior roles internally as well. But we remain a company that firmly believes in creating developmental experiences for employees at DO and that core belief goes well beyond title and level progression. I hope that's helpful perspective. I'm available to discuss more and I hope you do come to me and your manager if you're unhappy with the progression and development opportunities you're seeing in your career right now.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great experience

Nov 15, 2022 - Tax Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bright, hardworking teams that really care about the products and customers

Cons

So much work. So much.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Less than it was

Nov 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart coworkers, flexible working arrangements, stock plan and 401k match

Cons

Reduction in benefits over the past quarters as we chase free cash flow. Lack of communication from leadership as we face trying times. Disconnect between actual benefits and the ones advertised publicly. If you have a good manager you’re in a good place, but work life balance is not a priority any longer.

3 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about DigitalOcean.

DigitalOcean Photos

+ Add Photo
DigitalOcean photo of: NYC HQ
DigitalOcean photo of: Bring Your Kids to Work Day: Our baby sharks, mama sharks and papa sharks having a fun family day with face painting, dancing and all around fun.
DigitalOcean photo of: Welcome to the NYC office!
DigitalOcean photo of: New office launch party
DigitalOcean photo of: There's always space to relax while working.
DigitalOcean photo of: UX team whiteboarding
DigitalOcean photo of: DC in San Francisco