DigitalOcean - DO is the best place I've ever worked | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"DO is the best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at DigitalOcean full-time

Pros

Leadership cares about me and my growth (professional and personal!). Flexible PTO policy and work hours. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of diversity amongst leadership.

Advice to Management

Overall, my experience at DO has been great! Keep up the excellent work. I would like to see diversity hiring made a priority in the coming year.

Jan 20, 2018 – VP, People

Agreed on all counts. DO is the best place I've ever worked too :)

We are committed to ensuring we have an diverse and inclusive organization and we definitely have more work to do in that area... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"A dysfunctional engineering organization"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at DigitalOcean full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good work/life balance, great remote culture, competitive salaries, great potential

Cons

The engineering organization is plagued by a bad re-org that started about a year ago but has gotten progressively worse. Teams are split into “pillars” with no plan on how those teams are meant to interface across the pillars. Communication from leadership is poor leading to isolated pockets of engineering and a product that is becoming increasingly inconsistent and confusing.

Best practices and engineering standards are nonexistent as each team has freedom to do whatever they want, unchecked. Quality of leadership varies wildly from parts of the engineering organization as each pillar is responsible for its own hiring practices. On more than one occasion, hiring managers have hired their personal friends and former coworkers into roles.

The company hires only generalists as engineers. You have people who are Rails experts setting up and maintaining databases. Engineers who would prefer to work on Golang are writing Javascript. This leads to general frustration and a lower quality of work.

The remote benefits are so great that employees stay, even if they’re unhappy. DigitalOcean pays NYC salaries to people living all over the world, creating an unbeatable offer that people can’t leave. While this might seem like a pro, in reality it means you have a large number of disgruntled employees that feel stuck.

Middle management is increasing at a rapid pace. A large majority of the new management/leadership is being hired externally, with a few very rare exceptions for internal promotion. There’s little opportunity to grow with the company as an engineer. The career promotion process is very poorly defined and documented and results in a lot of confusion and frustration across engineers. People are left wondering how and when they should ask for a promotion as that seems to be the only way that people get raises or promoted to new levels.

For a long period of time there was no CTO, then there was a CTO for just under a year who worked outside of the main office and never spoke to engineers, even when the engineering organization was still relatively small. She’s since left, leaving the organization with no C-level technical leadership. With the increase in middle management and a lack of technical vision/leadership it feels increasingly isolating to be an individual contributor in the organization.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the poorly performing engineering leadership. Create real performance reviews to remove underperformers and incentivize individuals to perform to higher standards. Bring focus back to the point of difference, the simplicity of the platform and focus on building back trust and esteem with engineers and designers. The people you have are here because they believe in the product. There's a great opportunity here but leadership needs to be held accountable for mistakes.

Feb 10, 2018 – VP, People

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry your experience is not living up to the standards we're setting for ourselves.

We are an agile organization and as such we practice real-time, continuous... More

2. "Challenging But Rewarding"

I have been working at DigitalOcean full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to build a foundation for the future. Very exciting!

Cons

So much to do. A long way from perfect and still working out the kinks...but that's part of the fun.

Advice to Management

Connect more. You've a lot you're dealing with, but don't isolate.

Dec 19, 2017 – VP, People

Thanks for the great feedback. We're trying to improve where we can (certainly lots of opportunities) but I think we're all excited for the ride ahead.

Discover more reviews about DigitalOcean.