Dillard's - Incompetent staff, high expectations!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

"Incompetent staff, high expectations!!!"

Current Employee - Edge Shop Business Manager in Asheville, NC
Current Employee - Edge Shop Business Manager in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average pay for retail (although for what they expect from employees its still not enough compensation for your time and effort). One hour breaks. Good Discount.

Cons

Do NOT consider working for Dillard's unless you have an extremely marketable mind and can sell ANYTHING and do it every second of your life!!!. In cosmetics you will have to network outside and be expected to use your personal time to get customers in the store. The turnover rate is consistent and the people who have experience, like myself, get stuck teaching the new employees the ropes and missing sales then get reprimanded for it. This job has extremely high expectations and as soon as you make your sales goals....they expect MORE! Very old management skills, cannot confide in ANYONE but yourself. Most people working in Dillard's are hired because they are CUTE. It is sickening. You will get promoted, with barely any incentives or pay raise and be expected to work ten times harder. My managers also LIED to me consistently and never explained my commission until 4 months into the job and I missed out on over $1,500 in bonuses!

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like crap. Care about us and we will care about you. Spend a week on the sales floor, especially cosmetic,s and actually see what we have to deal with. When you say you are there for help, then don't tell us "well, what do you think" when we ask a question. Take some people-skills classes. Don't hold any area higher than others.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

1. "Great Company Wonderful Management"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay.
    Great Upper Management.
    Great Product.
    Challenging, yet rewarding.

Cons

A very challenging job and lots to juggle, but it can be done.

Advice to Management

none.

"Overwhelming & Stressful"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extra Employee Discounts
    Decent Pay for Associates
    Lack of Training Helps You Learn to Problem Solve On Your Own
    Aggresive Selling Prepares You for Your Next Job

Cons

Lack of Training
    No Human Resources
    No Open Door Policy
    Not Supportive
    Lack of Advancement

Advice to Management

Please take associate's concerns and complaints into consideration. Make sure all levels of employees gets adequate training- including upper and senior management. Stop hiring people that have "the look" and hire people that have the skill. If everyone is saying the same thing, there has to be something to it. I worked for Dillard's for 3 yrs. I never got a paycut, and eventually moved into management. I ran a double digit increase at my counter my first year there. Unfortunately, the unprofessional atmosphere sucked the life out of me, and I could no longer stay. Turnover is typically a reflection of the lack of follow up actions after problems. Please make it better for future workers.