Dillard's - Sales Associate | Glassdoor

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch hour, Nice discount. Most of the Managers are nice to you. Pay is ok.

Cons

SPH and the ridiculous quota's they enforce on employee's makes it a very hostile work environment in which people knock you down to get to a customer. I had a very good attitude when I started but now I am going to be looking for something else ASAP! They should come up with a more positive way to get their sales than pitting employees' against each other because they are afraid of a pay cut or losing their job. Also they stick you in department with six or more people at the same time of day making it very hard to meet your sales goals especially when its not busy. They seem to want employees to fight and be agressive with each other. They also try and work you in the ground by making you work ridiculousy long hours. Sometimes open to close give or take an hour.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Employee's concerns to avoid a constant turnover rate.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

"Hired under false pretenses as Area Business Manager; given associate job answering to incompetent Area Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Area Business Manager - Men's Tailored Clothing in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Area Business Manager - Men's Tailored Clothing in Newnan, GA

I worked at Dillard's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the greatest people I've ever met walk through the doors of Dillard's
    Incredible potential (never fulfilled) within the company
    Employee discount
    Weekly pay
    This company could survive the collapse of the US dollar with innovation and progressive change management

Cons

Clique management culture at this store.
    Current Men's Area Sales Manager is a two-faced megalomaniac micro-manager. If you don't report every single activity occurring within the area to him you are taken to a stock room and verbally abused for 5 minutes. If any slight is perceived to his ego you will be targeted for termination.
    In front of Store GM he acts courteous and professional (kiss butt) but out of sight he turns into an x style manager.
    You may be hired under a Management title but later told you are just an associate. Get it in writing!!!
    Taking any action as a manager ( aka making a decision) will be considered insubordination.
    Do not believe the upper management speeches about "we are a company that asks why not? If you have a great idea we want to hear about it!" Submitting an idea will get you called into the executive office for a verbal warning you won't be told is occurring.

Advice to Management

Create an HR department staffed by experienced outsiders who understand the concept of honesty in hiring
    Corporate is out of touch with store operations but an HR system would solve this matter and would protect employees from ASM's like the one in Ashley Park men's department

"Former Employee that wishes I'd never worked for dillard's"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to meet people in your community and if you enjoy customer service you encounter many nice people through working there.

Cons

I cant believe the way employees are treated by this company. The way the Stores are run do not match the way the current economy is going.Firing great employees because they are unable to acheive unrealistic sales quotas is just one of the many reason Dillards is such a horrible company to work for. Perhaps Bill Dillard should reconsider his policies and look past the numbers to see how many thousands of great hard working employees who help his stores run everyday have been let go. It is truly sad to me that Dillards has no sympathy for the great employees im sure have been let go. I honestly regret ever accepting a job there because the way they degrade their hard working employees by firing them for not being able to meet a quota. I would love to see some of those higher ups come out to the selling floor and do what they expect out of their employees.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider your policies regaurding numbers and quotas. Realize how difficult it is to sell in this economy. I dont understand how you even make a profit with all the firing and hiring you do.